Unhappy Agoraphobic in need of advice

Hello,

This seems like a friendly board so I thought I'd try here for a little advice.

Hello,

I've suffered from agoraphobia and dental phobia since my teens and it's very severe now. Over the last 15 years I've had an abscess on my gum 4 different times. Half a root canal treatment which wasn't finished so I lost my tooth. And now I have a few broken teeth,a couple have fallen out and I can't chew on the right side of my mouth.

I admit my oral care was appalling, the idea of anything touching my teeth would freak me out. Ironically I've managed to overcome my dental fear and now take good care of my teeth, but I'm worried it's too little too late and I may end up losing them all. The ones that have crumbled away are at the back and one from the side. One back tooth is wobbly at the moment.

Even though it's been years since my last one I'm terrified I may get another abscess as that was the worst pain I've ever experienced not to mention being embarrassed by the colour of my teeth. I use Blanx toothpaste but that doesn't do much.

I did used to get a lot of severe toothaches where I'd be up crying for nights on end and no amount of tablets would work, then the pain would go away again after a few days.

I've researched domiciliary dentists in London to no avail, no one will come out and see me, and I understand the service they can provide from home is limited anyway.

I know it's in my best interest to go to a dentist but I can't even begin to explain how severe my agoraphobia is now and that is not an option.

I'm trying to overcome my phobia but in the meantime what can I do to help save the rest of my teeth? I brush twice a day and floss after eating. I'm so desperate for help but I keep being ignored. I've been trying to see a dentist for 10 years.

Thanks,

Summer

Hello Summer you are in the same position as many patients out there dental phobia is so common that it is nothing to be ashamed of, however our first concern is making sure that your mouth is healthy. The last thing you would want is an emergency situation were you are forced to visit a dentist without any choice or pre warning.

I know it is difficult but the first step you could take is to simply pick up the phone and call a practice where they will give you a chance to simply talk to a dentist without any obligations of booking an appointment. Making this call is a big step forward and if you are worried about which practices to call i would happily recommend one that would give you the time if you send me a private message.

Following this you can move forward and possibly visit the dentist for an informal chat with no commitment to sit in a dentists chair etc

The key is slowly and one step at a time.

I hope this woks and good luck with your dental phobia.

There is a great website that provides good information on dental phobia with case studies etc take a look at www.dentalphobia.co.uk
    admin

Hi Summer, you could contact the people at Kings College London who offer a Health Psychology Service for people with dental anxiety. You can find contact e-mails and phone numbers on the link below. I don't know if they do domiciliary visits, but considering that dental phobia appears to be more common in people with agoraphobia, I would expect they do (or at least they may be able to tell you who does). Here's the link:

About King's College London : News and What's On : King's College London

I hope they will be able to help you. You can also find more information about special needs services (which in many areas includes agoraphobia) on this page: Where can people with special needs get dental treatment?

Wishing you all the best and I hope you'll be successful with your search !!!

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for your advice, you don't know how much I appreciate it. I'll check out the links they look very interesting, and try ringing some of my local dentists. I've tried before and had no luck but fingers crossed it may work out for me this time around.

Thanks again.

Summer,

the same thing happened to me ... I suffered from Anghoraphobia for 6 years, and during that time, all of my teeth needed immediate attention, of course which I ignored, cuz of not leaving the house, and in USA, they dont offer home visits...

Anyway, this was back in my 20's, I am now 40, and I am here in Egypt ( thanks god, I got over my Anghoraphobia) and I got an abcess, I had it for 2 months, the pain never went away, and of course I was afraid to go to the Dentist... since I was 19 years old, I had not been to the Dentist.anyhow, the pain was so extreme, and I was killing myself taking anti-inflammatory drugs, and pain medicine, that only stopped the pain for a few hours... I was forced to go. I had 5 teeth extracted... at one time, and the abcess cut open and drained .. it was so bad it was draining thru my sinus caviity. but, as soon as it draned he pulled it out, and I dont know if anyone knows this or not, but here in Egypt, they dont use Novocaine.. they used something that is not as strong , its called Lidocaine... needless to say, I felt him pulling my teeth out, it wasnt horrible, of course, but it wasnt like numbing ur mouth with Novocaine...

anyway, to make a long story short.... I now, have all my teeth fixed, a fixed bridge of 8 teeth on one side, and a partial bridge of 4 teeth on the other side, and all my teeth r filled and healthy.. Thank God...

I do understand ur situation, and its a hard one, believe me, I have been down that road... I wish there was something that I could say to make u take care of this, but I know there's not... because of the Anghoraphobia...

I hope that u do find a dentist to come to ur home, because once u go thru the first procedure, trust me, the rest will be a piece of cake for u... I have been to the Dentist now, 6 times, here in Egypt for all my work... and everytime it was something different, and scary, but I just prayed to God to help me , and give me strength to make it ,and he did.... My heart was beating so fast the first time I went, I thought I was going to go into a panic attack LOL .. seriously! but as time went out, my heart calmed down, and we proceeded ... just as with anyone...

good luck to u.. really!