Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Not just nervous, completely pretrified

Hi,
    I haven't been to the dentist is a very long time due to (what I would consider) a very lousy dentist when I was in my teens
    "Ow, I'm telling you that drill is hurting"
    "no no, it doesnt hurt at all"
    (im telling you, it did).

Well, now my nervousness needs to be solved, urgently for 2 reasons.
    1) I have a young boy about to turn 3 who I need to start taking to the dentist, obviously
    2) Tucking into my sunday roast, ive just lost half a tooth its my first premolar, top left as you're looking at it. Not in any pain but my cowardness is going to stop me seeing one unless I can reassured... help

Hey,
    I would advise going to

www.dentalfearcentral.org/forums where there are many other people like you ( me as one of them)

Alot of dentists these days use alot of differant forms of sedation like numbing gel for the needle and laughing gas, and I/V sedation to put your whole mind at ease.

-mikey
    Fear of dentist, or anything to do with dentistry? come visit the dental phobia forum

ww.dentalfearcentral.org/forums

Also, I am not a dentist so do not take my advice as the 100% accurate truth.

Baj,

you've taken the first step. Posting on here. Its totally understandable why people are nervous about visiting the dentist. We invade a very personal space and you can't even see what is going on.

Firstly, rest assured you are not the only one nervous about seeing the dentist. And most nervous clients say "I'm just being silly".

Well, ur not! You obviously have legitimate reasons as to why you are nervous. From what I read you also do not want to pass this fear onto your son.

There are a vast number of options available. The first thing I say is that many patients who are nervous simply have not experienced quality dentistry. They have been to either NHS or basic private practices who have to see vast numbers of patients. I know most who post on these threads and can hand on heart say they are all superb clinicians who will listen to all your concerns.

Once you experience quality, your nerves may simply disappear. For those who still remain anxious, sedation is a wonderful option. Imagine being sat in the chair for 4 hours and not remember any of it. That is the power of sedation.

My advice to you would be to search out someone you feel comfortable with. We all see many nervous patients everyday, its what we do. Don't feel embarrased, focus on your goals and above all talk to us so we can really help you.

Modern dentistry is an amazing phenomenon. I do not comromise on quality, same as the others here who I know personally. I wouldn't want that doing to me so I don't do it to others.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions

Hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thanks Pav, I appreciate your advice.

I dont know what exactly my issue is, I guess its a combination of many things, from dentists talking me like a child (you really should have not done this/that)... i guess one really bad experience, bearing in mind the dentist knew i was a nervous wreck, was him toying with me "hmm, i think this will have to come out, but im not sure, what do with think Baj? let me think"... im sat there thinking "i dont need a running commentry you moron, dont mess with me".

Anyway, the problem tooth is now really bad, itll have to come out, I dont need to be a dentist to know that so im pretty much resigned to the fate, even if Im not enjoying thinking about it. Im booked in to the Stardent clinic in Southampton tomorrow, examination at first but they offered to sort the tooth when i phoned up or examination, so if i get the courage and if they have time, I may just tell them to "go ahead and get rid of it"... if i have the courage

Lightbulb

Well you do seem to be thinking the worst but it is possible that all you would need is a root canal. I do hope that everything goes well for you and that it turns out better than you think.
    Fear of dentist, or anything to do with dentistry? come visit the dental phobia forum

Baj, make sure you tell your dentist all of your concerns. Its very important! You'll feel better for doing it. Concentrate on your final goal, its up to your dentist to make everything comfortable for you
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Thanks Pav,
    It went ok, I guess, but I did lose it a little

The upshot is that the tooth can be saved, i need root canal? + new crown. She also identified 2 fillings that need doing + 2 that need replacing.

Can't say it was my most pleasant experience ever, and ive been given some oral sedatives for next week when they start the treatment which im REALLY dead against, I think ill be mentally ok now that i've been the first time... i hope...

Stick with it. Oral sedatives can work wonders
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Yes oral sedatives can be quite nice. Also don't believe the horror stories people tell you about having a root canal because most are 100% painless.

Baj I would get a second opinion on all of that. Having a root canal done won't be painful (it's quite fun really), but you may end up with sensitivity later. Also root canals can occasionally fail leading to more dental visits. So make sure you definitely need one. I know someone who had exactly the same tooth break while she was eating (the whole front of the tooth came off) and she had a porcelain onlay put on with no root canal. She is absolutely fine now.

It's unusual to need replacement fillings, they usually last forever unless they have been poorly done. I'd want to know whether any improvement can be made by merely visiting the hygienist and investing in something like a sonicare first and why you need all these fillings. I had a dentist tell me I needed a filling on a back tooth in 2002. I never went back and it's absolutely fine! The same dentist told me an absess was appearing again where I have had a root canal. I've had it checked several times over the years since and no infection is present.

As to your son, these days dentists are far more sensitive to children being frightened and concentrate on preventative work. In the olden days when the NHS paid on a piece basis (and most dentists were nhs), they were far more drill-happy and far more scary!