Default From Yorkshire with a morbid fear of dentists

Hello everyone,

I came across this site 2 days ago, and having read through various postings decided to join, as I found it really interesting, useful and most importantly, friendly.

I'm female, 26, living in East Yorkshire and work full time. Unfortunately, like lots of people, I have a morbid fear of dentists, and have allowed this fear to basically rule my dental life for over 10 years now. I haven't been to see a dentist in just about that long, but know I need work on my teeth. Like many, I had a bad experience with a dentist when I was between 11 - 13 years old. He was very arrogant, rude, patronizing, and short-tempered. When I look back now I'm astonished this man was allowed to practice, especially on children, given these characteristics he possessed.

I'd love to be able to gain the confidence to go and see a dentist who is understanding, non-judgemental and friendly - Like those who post on this board.

It's also really nice to join a community where I don't feel embarrassed to raise these fears, talk about work needed on my teeth and the such. I hope this can be a turning point in my life where my dental health is concerned.

Thanks.

Hi Ellie,

I am sorry to hear your circumstances! I think it's great that this website has had such a positive impact.

As you have seen from the various threads, there are many people who are terrified of dentists and many of these have managed to overcome their fears.

The first step (getting into a dental practice) is going to be the hardest. Once you meet a friendly, approachable dentist and the rest of the team, you will build a trust with them and all your subsequent visits should become much easier.

Best of Luck

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Quality dentistry is a world apart from your experience.

We see many new clients who have had bad experiences previously. You'd be surprised as to how quickly they become comfortable in an environment which is welcoming and the people listen

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy