Default Extremely Ashamed

Hi, I am 20 years old and really really ashamed of my teeth. I haven't been to a dentist in years and last year I went through a severe state of depression where I was so bad I didn't want to do anything. I neglected hygiene and I neglected my teeth very badly...to the point where I was only brushing them once or twice a week.

They are at the point now where I think I actually have the worst teeth I have ever seen, which puts me off going to see a dentist because it will be embarrassing.

The enamel on a lot of my teeth is eroding and I think that if I continue to not see a dentist, they will either fall out or will erode to basically nothing since just brushing them obviously isn't going to bring back the bits of tooth that I have lost.

The front four teeth make me extremely paranoid. There's hardly anything left of two of them. I hate smiling and even talking to people. I often lower my head so they wont see the horrible state of my teeth.

I'm almost positive that a complete smile makeover is what's needed...but still there's that feeling of embarrassment there. Being currently unemployed, I know I'm not going to be able to afford any treatment anytime soon either.

The teeth aren't exactly sore...but they are very bad and just look really, really terrible. I know it's my own doing for not taking care of them and if I could go back in time I would but sadly, that isn't possible

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances.

I would recommend you book an appointment with a dentist to discuss your available options. You shouldn't be feeling this way.This way you will know what procedures are possible to make your mouth healthy, and to feel confident again.

Good luck!
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

I am also 20 years old and in the exact same position as yourself, I have extremeley bad teeth and the sight of them depresses me. I feel that they are the only thing holding me back in life yet I'm too ashamed and embarrased by them to do anything about them!

I'm only a student myself as well as a mother so can't exactly afford any sort of cosmetic surgey myself

Same here, i'm 21 and my teeth are getting worse and worse. I think the time is coming when I need something done, but I just can't bring myself to do anything about it. My family aren't aware of the full extent of my problems and I don't want them to know.
    The condition of my teeth sound very much like Scouse88. I feel sorry for anyone going through what we are going through, I know first hand how horrible it is, it affects almost every part of life. I am lucky to have a job, despite being a very poor communicator due to my teeth, but still i'm not sure I could afford treatment. I also don't have the courage to show my teeth to anyone yet.
    I think it's going to take something really drastic like a front tooth coming out to make me do something about it. I just hope I can build enough courage to do something before too much of life has passed me by, and I wish others the best of luck too.

Default cosmetic dentistry

Speak to a dentist about your options. If esthetics are an issue, consider bonding or composite resin veneers. They are a much cheaper alternative to porcelain veneers.

Smile Don't be afraid

Making an appointment with a dentist, is the first step to improving your smile, and your confidence. Please do not feel embarressed or ashamed about your teeth or smile. You are not alone!! There are many procedures and treatments your dentist can do, to help improve all this.
    Your first step should be to have a general check up and hygiene appointment. They will be able to discuss what you may need, what procedures they can do to help improve your smile, and start to improve the health of your teeth and gums.
    You should also ask if your dental practice have any finance schemes, to help you. This way you will be paying a bit off at a time, and it will not seem so "daunting".

Good luck to all of you, and keep us posted with your progress.
    Dr Sarah Fitzharris BDS (Otago, New Zealand)

Woodborough House Dental Practice
    21 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR
    Woodborough House

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".
    Lao Tzu
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Just thought i'd share my first step, my email to a local cosmetic dentistry clinic...

Hi,
    I have been putting off contacting you for ages, but my teeth have got so bad that I need to do something.
    Im 21, and I have really bad teeth due to years of neglect. Most teeth have some decay, some have rotted away completely, and whats left are discoloured. I try my best to hide this but even my front teeth are getting very bad so I have no confidence at all. Im so ashamed of my teeth and they are ruining almost every part of my life. I cannot have a face-to-face conversation and my social life is pretty much none existent. Im also having problems eating some things and its even affecting my speech, because Im trying to talk in a way which doesnt show my teeth so much.
    I think im at a point now where I need to do something, but Im so ashamed. My family dont even know how bad my teeth are, and how its affecting me. I know I need some sort of treatment, but I dont want to have to go into work or face people with teeth missing while Im getting treated. I want it all to be over before anyone knows what Ive done.
    I know the best thing would be to book an appointment, but Im not sure Im quite ready yet. I was just hoping for some advice first on possible procedures.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Mark.
    Their reply, taken out any names...

Hi Mark

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to hear about your very sad story.
    I understand that you are very nervous and I appreciate that it must of taken a lot of courage just
    to email us.

Here at ******* we have a very relaxed and caring approach to dental treatment. We have a patient coordinator who we would advie you to see first and this will be a very informal visit to the Practice. She will just explain to you about
    our practice and show you some before and after photos. There is no fee for this visit but if you decide you would like to make an
    appointment to see Dr ******* then we can arrange this for you as and when you are ready. The fee for that consultation will be £89.00.

We have had hundreds of patients that have been in your situation and we are very fortunate to have helped them, it gives us great satisfaction
    to see them so confident and happy about themselves now.

Once you feel up to making an appointment with ******** please give us a call and we will be more than happy to arrange this for you.
    I look forward to your reply and well done for making the first step.
    I emailed two clinics, one replied with a simple automated type email saying I need to book an appointment, the other was the one above, who seem far more friendly and willing to help me.
    They are only open daytimes during the week though so i'm holding off until I get some time off work, hopefully Feb/March.
    Another problem I have is I don't even want to tell my parents until it's done, so if I do take time off I think i'll have to pretend i'm still going to work!
    Anyway when I make the next step i'll write about it on here.
    Hopefully I can help others by keeping you up to date, reading other peoples experiences certainly helps me.

Mark.

please keep us in the loop, like life, it takes all types and i am sure if a clinic can send you back such a constructive reply, then they will be able to help you with you rown unique situation
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)