Default GUM SURGERY scare!

Hi everyone,

I`m having porcelain crowns put in in my top front 4 teeth. I already have a crown on upper left 1.The crown is bigger and higher than my natural teeth and therefore the gum above this tooth is raised and has been raised for the last 4 years. The dentist sugested gum surgery on my top 4 teeth so than he can put nice even crowns on. That`s fine apart from the fact that he`s talking about my gum being cut, stitches, and a two month recovery from this. There`s no way on earth I`m having my gums cut, I have nice healthy gums. How about laser gum reshaping? Surely I could have laser gum reshaping rather than butcher type surgery? Please help, I need to let my dentist know about this by monday.

Thank You

hello Biljana.

Welcome to our forums, sometimes people can get confused with terminology, let me try and clarify a few things for you:

Laser gum contouring is the same as gum surgery - the only difference being that the dentist uses a laser as the scalpal (it is the same procedure the gum it still cut)

In laser gum contouring the laser still cuts the gum in the same way as a scalpel does, I think what is far more important is not how they do this but what experience that your dentist has in performing this kind of surgery. Dentists who have undertaken post graduate education in surgical procedures and dental implants may have more experience but you must feel confident with your dentist.

Even though your gum is healthy sometimes it is essential that it is cut when placing a new restoration to ensure everything heals correctly and also to give you a more aesthetically pleasing smile.

If you have any concerns please bring these up with your dentist as I am sure that they would like to know and I hope that this answer has helped to put your mind at ease.

Admin

Hi and thank you for your quick response. Is laser gum reshaping painless though and how long does it take for the gums to heal?

Thank You

There is some soreness with laser gum contouring and the healing phase is related to how much needs to be done. In simple cases the laser can be used the day your teeth are prepared, or you may need to wait several weeks for your gum position to stabilise

Hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Default about BONE REMOVAL

Dear Dr. Khaira,

It looks like I`m gonna have to have more than 1 mm taken off, so therefore what I`m derading the most:scalpel gum reshaping! Oh my God Does there have to be bone removal and why? To be honest, i wouldn`t like to have any of my tooth surface removed.

Thank You
    Biljana

I think you should talk to your dentist about your concerns before going any further. You don't always need bone removal but without a consultation it is difficult to say.

If your dentist has recommended bone recontouring also, I would say this would give you a more stable long term result. The process of how and why is quite complex so I won't bore you with it.

If done well you may have hardly any discomfort or swelling. Again I can understand your concerns and this is why I recommend you speak to your dentist.

I am currently in the US teaching a private group on advanced cosmetics but I do obviously have access to internet. Feel free to private message me if you have any specific concerns

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Hi

It is very difficult to give advice on the forum , as we can not see your mouth.

I am sure if your dentist has recommended this form of treatment , then he is thinking of the ideal long term result.

Again, as Pav mention, if you have concerns with the procedure, then speak to your dentist.

Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009