Default Veneers for dead teeth

Hi there, came across your informative site when looking for some more information on cosmetic dentistry.

My fiancé is keen to have some work done on her front teeth. They are out of alignment and dead due to an accident when she was a child.

The first dentist whom we went to see suggested that veneers were the best way to go. He proposed taking down the front teeth to little stubs and covering them with porcelain veneers. As they have had root canal treatment he suggested that this would be a far better and cheaper option than having braces fitted. The cost for each tooth would be £350 and would require 2 trips to the dentist; one to do the drilling and the other to fit the veneers.

It does seem a rather drastic approach to me. Would it not be better to maintain what teeth you have and try and improve their overall appearance? Is this quite a normal course of treatment? From what I have read Lumineers would probably not have been suggested. Any advice or sharing of similar experiences would be great help?

Thank you, J

Hi Jamie. Veneers may certainly be a good treatment option but I would say without a full consultation it is difficult to say. If the teeth are very dark they may not help.

£350 for a veneer is very cheap indeed and I would say not to expect a fantastic looking result. The preparation for veneers is very minimal as long as the teeth are in a good position so that should not be too much of a concern. Good cosmetic veneers would take more than 2 visits, it takes at least 2 visits to due a "cosmetic blueprint" so we can ensure the shape of the teeth is what you want.

I would recommend speaking to your dentists about this

Hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thanks for you prompt reply. Is there anywhere I can find recommendations for cosmetic dentists in my area. Bournemouth, Dorset.

We went to see this dentist as they have many adverts in the local press etc.

Unfortunately I'm not sure where Bournemouth is! You could try a cosmetic dentist search in the BACD website. Hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy