Default How safe in Inman Aligner if it moves teeth quickly

Hi there

I used an Inman aligner earlier this year and had one front upper tooth moved back and the neighbouring tooth brought forward with a dentist on the approved list. I'm pleased with how it looks but I'm now wondering if there are any dangers in moving the teeth so quickly?

I had x-rays taken of my teeth before treatment and I have no problems with the upper teeth or the gums. I'm in my 30s and the tooth that was moved had been gradually pointing outwards since my 20s. The tooth was about 5 or 6mm overjet.I'm currently wearing a clear retainer at night. I have a phobia about losing my teeth - so I'd be really grateful for some reassurance!

Thank you.

Dear Lulu,

The aligner applies very gentle forces and therefore is very safe to use. The reason other brace systems work more slowly is they apply much higher forces and so fast movements are nopt recommended.

I hope this helps

kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thank you very much for the reassuring reply!

I was also wondering, in addition to normal tooth and gum care (brushing and flossing, regular dental check-ups, etc), are there any other things I should be doing to look after my teeth and gums post-straightening? Or any things I should look out for or pay particular attention to?

For example is it okay to use mouthwash before wearing a clear retainer at night? I was wondering if the retainer kind of 'holds' the mouthwash on the teeth and whether this could be detrimental to the enamel?

Many thanks...

Brush, floss and use mouthwash as you normally would. If you are using a mouthwash that your dentist recommends it won't be doing any damage.

I hope this helps!

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Official Dentist - Inman Aligner Forum Moderator

Correct answer from Pav as always.

I would just add that studies show that orthodontic treatments that allow the forces to be stopped for 4 hours a day (basically any system that allows the brace to be removed as with the Inman Aligner,) are less likely to cause root resorption, which is risk that can be induced by orthodontic forces.

This is because the teeth are given time to recover from the pressure of movement.
    Because inman forces are and should be low, we are finding complication rates to be almost non-existent.
    Dr. Tif Qureshi.BDS

UK Pioneer of the Inman Aligner.

straight-talks.com

Straight-talks Seminars for an enlightened approach to Cosmetic Dentistry.

Thank you both for your replies.

I can get on with enjoying my nice new smile now!