Default New Aligner affecting speech!!

Hi I had an aligner fitted yesterday and I am having real difficulties talking. I am worried about wearing it to work as I have to speak to people on the phone and I know they won't be able to understand me. How long will this go on for? Also my dentist said I had to wear it all the time, will my treatment time be severly affected if I don't wear it in work time?

Hi

It does affect speech for the first few days and then patients adapt to them. Each patient is different. If you have any major concerns , you should speak to your dentist.

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Default Contemplating inman

Hi,

I have a few crooked teeth at the bottom and i enquired about inman alignment after seeing information on a poster at my dentist. I went and had impressions taken today and they said they would contact me if ok to have the treatment. My main concern after reading posts is not being able to talk whilst having it in place - my job is on an it service desk answering calls all day!! Also how do you get used to having the permanent wire in place after treatment?

Not sure if invisalign is probably a better option for me.

Speech is a problem and whilst mine got better I always took it out for work telephone calls so if you work in a call centre I'd say it's not the best for you. You don't have to go for the permanent wire, you can have a removable retainer that you just wear at night.

There will be some initial speech disturbance with the Inman aligner but this should improve after a few weeks. You should plan to be wearing the Inman aligner for a minimum of 18 hours a day, but if your speech doesn't improve the beauty of the Inman aligner is that it is removable if and when required. If you are wearing the aligner for 16 hours a day it should still work but will take longer (up to 16 weeks or more). Invisalign may still involve some speech disturbance (likely to be less than the Inman) but will involve considerably longer treatment times- up to a year. Short term fixed orthodontics is less likely to cause speech disturbance but will take about 6 months. The retaining wire is not usually an issue as you will rapidly get used to it. However you can choose just to wear a removable retainer at night if you prefer
    Dr David Bloom BDS