Default Which retainer Essix or or bonded retainer after Inman Aligner

Hi people,

Went for a first consultation which was all good, but the dentist said i after the treatment i would have to have a perminant metal bar across the back of my top front teeth so they dont go back into there old place, ive never heard of anyone having this before so i just wondered if this is normal or has anyone else been told this?

Thanks
    Matt

Hello Mattyboy this is correct and it would be the same for all orthodontic treatment. I think what your dentist means is a retainer and its more like a thin metal wire than a "bar". After any orthodontic treatment you need something in place to stop your teeth from moving back to their original position. some dentists provide nighttime retainers which are like gum shields that you wear everynight. But if you forget to wear this your teeth will start to move again!

I hope this helps, it may be worth discussing the different options for retainers with you dentist
    admin

Am I correct in thinking that after succesfully using the Inman Aligner, one has to wear a retainer for ever. which one last the longest the wire bonded retainer or the essix retainer

Hi, will be finishing my IA treatment is a few weeks a need to decide what type of retainer to go for. Bonded (fixed bar to the back of the teeth) or clear / Essix. Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated.

Congratulations on completing your orthodontic treatment and hope you are happy with your new smile to show off! Retention wise, your orthodontist should advise you what is best for your case but through experience I would go double and have a bonded and Essix (clear) retainer made to keep the teeth straight. I have both myself and they serve as a double hold to keep the teeth from shifting. You will need the Essix retainers replaced after around 5 years as they wear and the bonded composite on the bonded wire needs replacing after about the same time. My main piece of advise though to ensure your teeth stay straight for life is to wear the retainers for life. When you get the brace off, if you don't have a bonded wire, wear the Essix retainer full time for a year (only nightly if you have a bonded wire), then wear the Essix nightly only for 6 months, then cut it down to every other day and then on a long-term maintanance at 3 times a week for life. Whether or not we have had orthodontic treatment, our teeth shift with age and so we are not immune from our teeth shifting. The only way you can keep them straight is to keep wearing the retainers. I have heard so many people say their teeth shifted back because they didn't wear them and it really is not worth the stress headache of having treatment redone and panicking your teeth have moved just for the sake of having the discipline to pop the retainers in at night. I had treatment 8 years ago, wear my retainers 3 times a week and the teeth still look great. Hope this helps!

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite finished yet, but only a few weeks to go! Do you find it hard to keep your teeth clean with the bonded retainer? Has it ever come off? Does it feel comfortable?

Also, with the essix retainer, does it affect your speech at all? Would it be invasive in any way wearing it full time, all day?

No, having the bonded retainer doesn't really cause problems with cleaning - just be sure to clean throughly around it and use a floss threader or tepe interdental brushes to clean between the teeth. After a while you don't notice it is there as your tongue gets used to it's presence. The bonded retainer will come loose eventually as the material wears over the years but with good care and not abusing it (using teeth to open bottles etc) it should last 5-10 years before the cement needs redoing. If the bonded retainer breaks off (this happened to me after 7 years) wear the Essix retainer 24/7 until you can get an orthodontist to replace/repair it. With an Essix, no you shouldn't be speech impaired, you may make more saliva but this goes away after a couple of days as your mouth gets used to it. If you want your teeth to stay straight you must wear the retainers for life.