Default I can't talk with my Inman Aligner!

Hi,

I've just began my Inman Aligner treatment and I've had to have a space creating brace before the actual aligner. I'm having major problems speaking and I am producing major amounts of saliva. Not very pretty.

I was told to wear this brace 24 hours a day apart from eating. I don't think this will be possible as no one at work will be able to understand me. Will it be a huge problem if I have it out for a few hours a day? It's just a small brace tucked up behind my teeth. I reckon I can wear it for about 16 hours a day whilst at work, will this be enough?

Many thanks

Ally

Unfortunately this will not be enough, you need to wear the aligner for a minimum of 20 hours per day. I always ensure I explain this risk to anyone undergoing treatment with the Inman aligner. Your speech may or may not get better over the next week or so

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

I am sure your speech will improve as will the salivating. Think it took me about two weeks and you just learn to use words that are easier to say! I've only had the Inman Aligner and not the space creating appliance but the beauty of the aligner is that it is easy to put in/out so you can remove it for important meetings etc. Stick with it as it is worth it, started my treatment in September and should be finished early January. That said I won't pretend it has not been hard at times and it caused my work colleagues some entertainment!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll just have to find a way around this. I have another two weeks before I go back to work so hopefully I won't be quite as bad as I am now.

I work 2 week on/ 2 week off shifts offshore so when I'm off work I can wear it 24 hours. If I wear it less than 20 hours a day when I'm at work will this just cause the treatment time to extend or will the treatment just not be successfull if its worn for less than the 20 hours?

Originally I was told the brace would just have to be worn for 2-3 weeks but now on the day I had it fitted I got told it might be 6-8 weeks which is where the problem has arisen.

Thanks again

Ally

Official Dentist - Inman Aligner Forum Moderator

hi there

you should not need to wear the aligner for more than 20 hours a day. You can wear it for 16 hours a day though the treatment will take a little longer.

Normally speech is really bad for an upper aligner initially. It doesnt get a huge amount better but saliva flow does reduce after a few days improving things.
    Dr. Tif Qureshi.BDS

UK Pioneer of the Inman Aligner.

straight-talks.com

Straight-talks Seminars for an enlightened approach to Cosmetic Dentistry.