Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default my lips make my gums look big

Hey all my name is Stephen and i have no confidence at all cos of my Teeth can any one give me some advice i have a 2 pictures here and 1 Relaxed mouth i think it might be my lip that might make my gum look big and 1 when im smileing witch i hate cos i dont like my smile i always have to cover my mouth or with my head down

Hi Stephen,

I can certainly understand why this upsets you. Your concerns are complicated and you need a detailed assessment to derive an actual treatment plan, so anything said here is guidance only.

You have a number of issues here in relation to tooth size and position. Veneers or braces alone will not produce a pleasing result. You need to have your top lip measured for length to make sure it is not too short. If everything is within normal limits you would need a particular type of xray to assess whether your top jaw has grown down too much, a condition known as vertical maxillary excess. From initial glance I would say this is a high likelihood but as I mentioned it is not possible to say without a consultation.

Once we know what the exact problem is we can then formulate a treatment plan. I would say that it is this which is causing the majority of the problem but your teeth are not "proportionately sized", i.e. some appear large and others small. We would need to do a detailed gum examination to see what needs to be done and whether a pleasing and stable result can be achieved with gum recontouring or whether you would also need veneers.

I can tell you now that if you have only veneers, braces or gum recontouring this will not achieve a result which will be aesthetically pleasing. Once you have had a full consultation even a combination of the above may not be appropriate and you may need more advanced level planning. I won't get into the technicalities here as they are very complicated.

I can however reassure you that with correct planning and treatment you can have a natural looking and beautiful smile.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

soo ... techniqley i have a Screwed up mouth then

Quote Originally Posted by stephendun View Post
    soo ... techniqley i have a Screwed up mouth then
    That's not quite a technical term, but yes, you do have more complicated issues. Again I'd like to reassure you that all of your concerns can be dealt with

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

so this condition vertical maxillary excess can it be taken care of ?

Yes it can but it needs careful planning. I don't want to go into the details as it can get confusing, but all of your concerns can be dealt with. Again we can only really know what needs to be done after a full consultation
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

so do i just go to my Dentis and ask them if i have the condition and ask can they fix my teeth but wont the lip have to be taken care of at the hospital ?

Not all dentists are highly trained at cosmetic procedures. If your dentist is skilled they should be able to give you sound advice. You may not even have the lip condition I was describing, this is why you really need a full consultation. If that was the case you could either be referred to hospital or to someone else capable of undertaking this type of work

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

will the Treatment be Free
    i live in the UK and i go to the NHS

Unfortunately this type of treatment will not be available on the NHS as it is classified as cosmetic treatment
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com