Default Baby tooth at 33 yr old

Hi there, basically have a baby tooth for 33 yrs, and the adult tooth is above it, but never come down.

It is on the top on the left hand side and two away from my 2 front teeth.

Had no problems up to now with it, but last couple of days the gum has been real sensitive and the tooth slightly painful at times, but nothing major, but still giving cause for concern.

I have been reading on various sites that if I am to leave the adult tooth where it is and get a false tooth when the baby tooth is removed, that this can cause a multitude of problems as I get older, such as abscess's or the tooth rotting away and eating into the bone.

Other sites have advised to leave well alone and if its not causing problems, the likelyhood is it wont and problems are rare after this amount of time??

My concerns are I am 33 and the thought of having a brace now is very scary, been in tears most of the night after reading the procedures of having to have 2 or 3 years with a metal brace and a bracket fitted to pull the tooth down.

Also I am a single mum on benefits after my husband left me and my baby when he was born so worried any procedure will not be available on the NHS, I simply do not have the funds to pay for private cosmetic work.

If I wanted both teeth extracting if an xray proved there was a problem, and a false tooth fitted in its place, is this an option?

I am so worried right now, any advice would be appreciated.

It may be that my teeth simply need a good scale and polish as this hasnt been done for over a year now and I have previously suffered with mild gingivitus, but I am still very anxious.

Thank you. x

Can anyone help me with this, or have I posted in the wrong thread?

Hi

It is very difficult to answer your question without doing a full check up and seeing x-rays, I recommend you go and see a dentist and then make sure you see your dentist on a regular basis.

Only after a clinical and radiographical examination will the dentist be able to tell you what your options are. Don't give up hope!

Best of Luck

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do actually got to see the dentist on a regular basis, every six months, and when I was pregnant I had to have a root filling replaced. I am always told my teeth are immaculate, never had any trouble for years, just so annoyed my dentist didnt pick up on the fact I still had a baby tooth when I was young, as I wouldnt be in this predicament now.

I am due to go for a checkup in 2 weeks on my day off from work, so will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Thank you very much

Yes, please do keep us posted!

Best of Luck

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009