Thread: NHS or Private?

Default NHS or Private?

My daughter is 13. She has an overbite due to thumbsucking. We have visited an orthodontist and she is eligible for NHS treatment and to have a brace etc.

However, the orthodontist is suggesting using the Damon system privately. The difference is between free treatment and £3,000!

How do I validate that the orthodontist advice is unbiased? Is there any additional benefit to him getting us to pay him rather than the NHS?

When searching the web I see a lot of marketing spiel for Damon but we have the choice and I want to know what the real benefits are that would drive a £3,000 investment in Damon rather than get this on the NHS. What are the key considerations we should be taking into account beyond the cost?

Any guidance or help would be appreciated

Hi

I would recommend you speak to your orthodontist as to what are the advantages of conventional orthodontics on the nhs over the damon system, in your paticular case. There is possibly a good explaination why he is also recommending the damon system. Also if this does not answer your questions, then you do have the option of a second opinion.

Each case is individual, and unfortunately can not give you more information without looking at the mouth.

Regards

Kal
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk