Unhappy partial dentures

I had a upper partial fitted 3 days ago, straight after the extraction of 4 teeth. I've taken it out and really don't want to put it back in. The main problem is the acrylic palate. It seems so bulky and I can't speak or eat with it. Would my dentist be able to remove the palate, is this possible? The dentures are attached with 2 metal clasps.

The acrylic palate could be slightly reduced if need be, but each case is individual and you would have to discuss this with your dentist. Another type of denture which you may want to consider is a cobalt chrome denture which may cover less of you palate and will be less bulky.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1234 View Post
    I had a upper partial fitted 3 days ago, straight after the extraction of 4 teeth. I've taken it out and really don't want to put it back in. The main problem is the acrylic palate. It seems so bulky and I can't speak or eat with it. Would my dentist be able to remove the palate, is this possible? The dentures are attached with 2 metal clasps.
    Yes, you should be able to have the palate removed. However, it may compromise the support/ retention of the denture.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

thankyou for reinforcing that ...as i said each case is individual. some patients can have small dentures with good retention. Each case is individual.

www.dental-suite.co.uk

it also is worth adding that it is still very early days and you will have the capacity for adaptation, i.e. what feels foreign and weird now will very rapidly feel normal quite quickly
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

that is very true

www.dental-suite.co.uk