Default Misaligned Dentures??

I had all my bottom teeth removed on tuesday and I cant wear the temporary denture as I when in I can't shut my mouth and look like a horse! I have always had an overbite so my bottom teeth sat behind the front quite comfortably but the new ones line up so my jaw is pushed into an unnatural position with teeth touching edge to edge. I have to live with these for 8 weeks + while the gums settle down but are impossible to wear so will never get used to them. The plan was to have the top set replaced in about 3 months time when have got used to the bottom but am thinking I'm quite fond of them now as they are doing all the work and hiding the expanse at the bottom. This is on NHS so do I just have to live with what I'm given and lump it or is there a solution?

Wow, thanks for all the advice and comments!!

Hi Jan may be that most of our dentists do not frequent the forums on a weekend as they tend to answer questions during the week but in answer to your question you could go back to your NHS dentist and express your concerns but if you wanted a perfect denture where they will spend the time getting your occlusion (bite) right and the aesthetics of your denture perfect you may need to go private but obviously budget would be an issue here. An alternative is to have implant retained dentures which are more secure.

My first approach would be to go back to your dentist and express your concerns to him / her about your current situation and she what he she is willing to do.
    admin

Hi and thank you for responding, I was getting worried that no-one could offer advice after so many reading my post!

I would eventually like implants but am assuming that the teeth have to be gone and gums healed before you can start that process, which will still mean wearing dentures for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by JanJan View Post
    I would eventually like implants but am assuming that the teeth have to be gone and gums healed before you can start that process, which will still mean wearing dentures for a while?
    This is correct. is your situation improving as your gums heal?

Nick Fahey
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)