Default What type of dentures

Good evening.

Glad I found this forum as I am a bit helpless.

I had all my upper teeth removed 7 days ago and was given an intemediate denture by the NHS.
    The original plan was also to have 8 of my teeth in the lower jaw removed and I also have these
    denture ( though living in a drawer right now). WHen I got to the hospital 7 days ago I was suddenly
    told that the surgeon did not want to do both jaws at the same time. Therefore the result is now that
    I have non fitting dentures in my upper jaw, all teeth left in lower jaw but obviously not matching upper jaw denture. My next available appointment is only on 24 September. How on earth am I going to eat ?
    Also whenever lower jaw and upper jaw meet´- as it happens.... - its pretty painful.

Question to the Experts now.
    If I find myself a private dentist willing/able to remove 8 lower teeth so I can start wearing my denture made
    for the lower teeth, what sort of costs would this inurr on average in London ? My NHS dentist in London doesn't want to do this job as he claims his office is not equipped for such a big job.

2nd Question - if this eventually is over what sort of dentures would you recommend ? I understand that
    Valplast is an option but there are so many opinions around ? BTW I am 43 only so I presume I can expect that my first set of 3rd teeth wont be my last ?

Thanks for listening.
    Toothless Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless Tiger View Post
    Good evening.
    Question to the Experts now.
    If I find myself a private dentist willing/able to remove 8 lower teeth so I can start wearing my denture made
    for the lower teeth, what sort of costs would this inurr on average in London ? My NHS dentist in London doesn't want to do this job as he claims his office is not equipped for such a big job.
    Cost will very depending on difficulty in extracting the teeth. I charge related to time, some dentists will charge by the tooth. Cost for private dentistry vary a lot and if you are on a budget it is best ringing around to get some ball park figures. There may also (quite reasonably) be a fee for adjusting/ fitting the denture if it is time consuming.

2nd Question - if this eventually is over what sort of dentures would you recommend ? I understand that
    Valplast is an option but there are so many opinions around ? BTW I am 43 only so I presume I can expect that my first set of 3rd teeth wont be my last ?
    No, Toothless, you are indeed correct. I advise all my immediate denture cases prior to treatment that the dentures will have to be relined at 3-6 months and may need to be remade if the healing has made them unsuitable, and the associated costs.

Every new set of full dentures I advise my clients will last 5-7yrs. This does not mean they can't last longer though.

As for valplast this is usually used for partial dentures, unless I have the wrong end of the stick you require full dentures?
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)