Default The option of dentures

I am in my mid-thirties and suffer from periodontal disease which is not responding very well to treatment and has been going on for some time. Before that I was one of the many people that only goes to the dentist in an emergency. That is very seldom. My gums bleed and I am starting to lose bone around my teeth which are becoming looser. I have alot of fillings and several caps but apart from wisdom teeth I have all my teeth still. I have tried but I have found the cleaning regime difficult to keep up. I start OK and then backslide. Also I have fairly constant discomfort from my teeth, a regular dull ache and great sensitivity to hot and cold drinks and sweet things.
    It seems to me that I am destined to lose my teeth in the not too distant future and in recognition of that it would be sensible to have my teeth extracted now when I still have a reasonable amount of bone surrounding my teeth so that I should have a reasonable foundation to support dentures. My dentist will have none of this citing a litany of the disadvantages of dentures not so much immediately, although there are problems with eating and speaking here too, but in years to come.
    Both my parents lost their teeth when they were quite young, younger than I am now. In talking to them they seem to confirm that dentures are the obvious solution. Natural teeth when they become problematic are more trouble than they are worth and dentures work just fine. After all they should know. Therefore it would be a waste of money pouring more good money after bad teeth and money is not very plentiful at present.
    It sems to me on practical and expense grounds that I would be much better off accepting my condition is most unlikely to improve by having my teeth extracted now and being fitted with full dentures. It is, however, an option denied me. So it seems I will have to endure more discomfort until the inevitable happens. Is this right? It is after all my mouth and should ultimately be my choice.
    Thanks for your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    I am in my mid-thirties and suffer from periodontal disease which is not responding very well to treatment and has been going on for some time. Before that I was one of the many people that only goes to the dentist in an emergency. That is very seldom. My gums bleed and I am starting to lose bone around my teeth which are becoming looser. I have alot of fillings and several caps but apart from wisdom teeth I have all my teeth still. I have tried but I have found the cleaning regime difficult to keep up. I start OK and then backslide. Also I have fairly constant discomfort from my teeth, a regular dull ache and great sensitivity to hot and cold drinks and sweet things.
    It seems to me that I am destined to lose my teeth in the not too distant future and in recognition of that it would be sensible to have my teeth extracted now when I still have a reasonable amount of bone surrounding my teeth so that I should have a reasonable foundation to support dentures. My dentist will have none of this citing a litany of the disadvantages of dentures not so much immediately, although there are problems with eating and speaking here too, but in years to come.
    Both my parents lost their teeth when they were quite young, younger than I am now. In talking to them they seem to confirm that dentures are the obvious solution. Natural teeth when they become problematic are more trouble than they are worth and dentures work just fine. After all they should know. Therefore it would be a waste of money pouring more good money after bad teeth and money is not very plentiful at present.
    It sems to me on practical and expense grounds that I would be much better off accepting my condition is most unlikely to improve by having my teeth extracted now and being fitted with full dentures. It is, however, an option denied me. So it seems I will have to endure more discomfort until the inevitable happens. Is this right? It is after all my mouth and should ultimately be my choice.
    Thanks for your attention.
    Hi Kevin,
    Im having the same issues at moment and for what its worth i think you are right,jump before you are pushed!

hope you sort it out

caroline