Default Denture loosening

Hi

I find having dentures a major embarressment so much so that my wife doesnt even know I have dentures. Yes I know I should have shared that one but I couldn't. I was not best keen to learn I had to have dentures in the first place some 14 years ago let alone tell anyone else.

Here's my problem.

Recently the lower denture (and I have a full top one too but not a problem) has started to become loose and no longer fits well. When I talk I can feel it loose and moving. This loosening has started in the last 6 months. I went to a local dentist (not a special cosmetic one) and he was not pleased since the area under my denture 'he said' has deteriorated a lot. He offered me nothing in the way of options to correct the issue. Soon I will have a sum of money spare and want to use this to do the best I can with it to get my issue fixed.

But what are my options if the other dentist was right and the area underneath my denture is such that?

I have recently spoken to a friend who is having some work done on his, whereby they are putting a peice of cow bone on top of his jaw bone then I expect somehow getting his gum tissue over it and then using this to anchor implants too - have you heard of this procedure?

Also where in Hull (UK) would I be able to get cosmetic denture work done?

Regards
    Ian

Hi Ian

As one wears a denture over a long period of time there bone begins to resorb. If a patients is wearing a denture the best option is to get a regular reline or change the denture every 5 years to minimize the resorption.

Implants are a good solution for a patient who wants better retention. there are various designs which can be made but this would be evaluated on full examination of your mouth. If you do not have enough bone in your jaw then there are procedures to "build" up the bone.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009