Thread: Sinus Lift

Default Sinus Lift

I have been told that I need a implant as that is my only alternative (except for a plate) as I have no molar to attach a bridge, I have been told also that I will probably need a sinus lift - which really scares me I don't like the idea that my sinuses will be affected.

Can someone reassure me about the sinus lift - and what are the statistics of something going wrong and that I will have permanent problems with my sinuses afterwards , it just sounds so invasive and scarey !

I am 47 years old....

hi. I can't answer the technical stuff, but if you google 'sinus lift' or look on the many websites that tell you about implants you will get the technical side of things until one of the experts comes along to answer you. But I can tell you that I have had a sinus lift and I have had no problems. Here you go, just googled this for you ....

Sinus Lift Article | Dentures & Dental Implants | Colgate® Oral Care Information Seniors

Tooth implants: Preparing a site for a dental implant using the sinus lift procedure.

There are many other sites also. Best wishes.

Thanks for your reply amalaydee much appreciated - infact i wanted a reply from the patients point of view although if one of the experts could reply that also would be good.

I have googled information about sinius lifts and that is what has scared me looking at that the photos and videos, sometimes knowing too much detail can be conta productive..

I know what you mean. I wish I could reassure you but I was a wuss and had sedation. All I can really tell you is I have had no after effects or problems with my sinus' and it was mildly uncomfortable afterwards. Even that was easily sorted with ibuprofen for a couple of days. Go for it.
    Last edited by amalaydee; 11-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Default Sinus Graft

I forwarded your question to Dr. Ian Seddon. His reply..

Sinuses are air spaces in the upper jaw. They get bigger once the back teeth are lost and the roots no longer hold them up. This reduces the amount of bone to carry implants. A sinus graft is a bone graft into the sinus to replace the lost volume and allow implants to be placed. The procedure is very well established in the field of implant dentistry and has been done for many years since the first on was performed by Hilt Tatum in America. Common complications include infection in the sinus preventing the procedure being completed, tears in the delicate sinus lining during the lift and post operative infection. It is also not uncommon for patients to be bruised and possibly require pain medication afterwards. I normally recommend patients have a week off work for a sinus graft case.

The most important factor for any patient undergoing this procedure is knowing that the surgeon carrying out the work is appropriately trained and carries out sinus grafting on a regular basis. Also find out if they plan to carry out a full graft or are just looking to gain a few mm of bone using some other technique such as a summers lift. Lesser techniques are easier on the patient afterwards. Also ask what they plan to graft with, is it your (hip) bone, donor bone, bovine (cow) bone or synthetic 'bone' and make sure you are comfortable with their choice. This surgery also requires high standards of sterility so check if they use full sterile set ups and have enough people in their team to support this way of working.

Sorry if all this sounds horrific, sinus grafting is a safe and predictable procedure in the right hands. It can allow patients to have implants were they would not be able to have them otherwise. If you are unsure, seek a second opinion with another implant surgeon as the most important thing is you feel fully informed and confident in your implant team.

Good luck

Dr. Ian Seddon
    Your Implant Dentist
    3 Ash Tree Court, Woodsy Close, Cardiff, CF23 8RW
    Dental Implants Cardiff

Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)