Unhappy Cracked bone during implant surgery

I had a dental implant inserted into my upper jaw to replace a canine last week. During the procedure the implant cracked my bone and burst through my gum so that I have had to have extra stitches. The dentist has now said I may need a bone graft. Does this happen often or have I got grounds to make a complaint?

Hi

patients have to be aware that complications can happen when having implant surgery. The scenario you are talking about can happen.
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kalpesh Bohara View Post
    Hi

patients have to be aware that complications can happen when having implant surgery. The scenario you are talking about can happen.
    As Dr Bohara has stated, complications during surgery do infrequently occur and the scenario given can be one of those complications. You should have been warned about the possibility of complications prior to your surgery when you were giving your consent to treatment.

Fortunately, the situation mentioned does not always cause a problem. Your dentist probably is warning you that a bone graft may be required on the off chance that if it is required.

If you have an uneventful healing phase then this is always a good sign.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)