Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Implants - questions

I'm considering implants. I've been assessed, had a CT scan and found suitable although the treatment plan includes some augmentation "as needed".

How much work e.g. dental surgery can be undertaken during one appointment bearing in mind that this would not be done as an in-patient? Are there guidelines for the amount of surgical trauma individuals can bear?

I'd really appreciate some advice as I wonder if I'm about to be experimented on!

Without knowing exaclty what is being done its very difficult to tell you anything!

I'd like to reassure you that it is extremely unlikely you will be experimented on. All commonly used grafting procedures are tried and tested. There is no "threshold" of the amount of surgery that can be done. This is very much dependent on what your surgeon feels will be best for you

Grafting is often assessed by x ray or CT scan and a skilled surgeon reasesses everything at the time of surgery

Hope this helps!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Linlin View Post
    I'm considering implants. I've been assessed, had a CT scan and found suitable although the treatment plan includes some augmentation "as needed".

How much work e.g. dental surgery can be undertaken during one appointment bearing in mind that this would not be done as an in-patient? Are there guidelines for the amount of surgical trauma individuals can bear?

I'd really appreciate some advice as I wonder if I'm about to be experimented on!

Hi

How much work which can be done in one surgery depends on what type of bone graft your getting.

1. is it minor bone graft?
    2. is it a block garft?

If there is a great deal of bone which has to be substituted then it is better to have a staged appproch. In many of the cases i carry out, i prefer this approach to get better long term results. Also you may want to consider iv sedation if you are having a block graft.

Hope this helps.

Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Many thanks for replying so promptly.

I will be having iv sedation. In one appointment, the work to be carried out consists of extraction x5 teeth and implant x9. There's no mention of bone grafting other than "augmentation as needed" so I assume no bone grafting is required. Would the work mentioned above be considered normal for one appointment? I wonder what state I'll be in afterwards and for how long?

Augmentation is similar to bone grafting. From what you describe it will be done literally as necessary. It is a lot of treatment to have done but nothing to be concerned about. I have done much larger cases in a single sitting.

I do feel you should ask these questions to your treating dentist, they will be much more aware of what needs to be done and will be able to give you a clearer indicaition of what to expect. I would say to most of my clients who have this much work done to rest for at least 4 days. Many of my clients are fine but just feel more comfortable at home in a relaxed setting
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

how many implants which can be placed in one go depends on may factors e.g pts medical history, is there any augmentation required, etc.

If you are apprehensive about having nine implants placed all in one go, then speak to your dentist. He may say to you that you may able to get 3 done at a time. I have done this especilly in patients who are medically compromised.

I would make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible to discuss this, so that you feel confident and optimistic.

Regards

Dr K Bohara
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Hey,
    If you are having I/V sedation I don't think there is a limit to howmuch they can do because you will not have a clue whats going on and wont remember a thing.... or atleast thats how it went for my extractions.
    Fear of dentist, or anything to do with dentistry? come visit the dental phobia forum

ww.dentalfearcentral.org/forums

Also, I am not a dentist so do not take my advice as the 100% accurate truth.

IV sedation is superb!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pav Khaira View Post
    IV sedation is superb!

Very much so
    Fear of dentist, or anything to do with dentistry? come visit the dental phobia forum

ww.dentalfearcentral.org/forums

Also, I am not a dentist so do not take my advice as the 100% accurate truth.

Linlin, I hope you have found all of the answers you were looking for
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com