Default Implants - chances of success.

A few years ago I went to see a recommended expert to ask about having implants to replace my denture, for my half-a-dozen or so missing upper teeth. He told me that I had advanced peridontal disease - I did not know at the time. He said that due to the bone loss I would need bone grafts from my hip, and to have no teeth and to live on liquids for a couple of months. Then I could have the implants...but he reckoned the chance of success due to bone loss was only about 80%. The whole thing would take around two years, and a lot of visits. I'm not rich, I have a job with the public, and it all sounded totally unrealistic, so I declined.

Now I have lost almost all my upper teeth due to gum disease, and my denture is really, really uncomfortable. So my present dentist (in a different area; I moved house) recommended getting a second opinion on implants, which I just did. The new guy looked at my X-rays, and reckoned he could find four places with enough bone to put in implants without grafting. He said he could then adjust my present denture so it would fit over the implants, so that I wasn't toothless while I waited. He would thenmake me a special and more comfortable denture to fit over the implants. It would be cheaper, less time-consuming, and I could live normally while it was being done. And he reckoned it had an over 95% chance of success.

I love the idea...but don't you just hate it when experts disagree! Who do I believe; I'm not an expert? Do I get a third - and maybe altogether different - opinion, or what? How can I be sure that it will work - it's a lot of money (and time) to waste?

I'd really welcome advice, guidance, and/or to hear from anyone who's had the same problem and the same procedure done. Thanks in advance.

Its likely you will get a different answer from each person you see. These things are often as braaod as the are long.

May I ask what it is you are most concerned about and what would you like to achieve?

As long as your periodontal disease (gum disease) is under control and you have sufficient bone, chances of success are high.

We do many implant cases after gum disease and have excellent success rates. The absolute key is meticulous treatment of the gum disease first. Any hint of gum disease instability and the chances of success drop

Let me know if I can be of further help
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Many thanks for your amazingly quick reply.

May I ask what it is you are most concerned about and what would you like to achieve?
    I would like to achieve something more comfortable than a denture which is so loose I ought to be buying shares in fixative!!! So implants with a denture on top is fine by me.

I'm concerned about the whole thing failing, and wasting thousands of pounds and a great deal of time, neither of which I would find it easy to find. I've had two totally different answers from two recommended experts, and it's hard to know who to believe. One person insists I need bone grafting, and isn't optimistic about success anyway; the other says bone grafts aren't needed, and it should all work fine. I could just say "Let's suck it and see", but I'm not a risk taker by nature, and I need more definite facts.

Without a consultation its difficult to say more.

There are other options such as precision attachment dentures which are less of an investment and very sturdy.

Again, the key to success for implants is stabilisation of gum disease and enough bone to put an implant in. If these are achieved and quality work put ontop, success rates are very high
    Last edited by Dr Pav Khaira; 02-03-2008 at 11:27 AM.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy