Default Some pain a a month after implant surgery

Hi,

I had an implant started a month ago, just the actual implant and a healing cap/screw were fitted, no crown.

After the surgery I had very little pain, every now a then I noticed something, but nothing bad.

However now (5 weeks after surgery) I am getting some dull pain which comes and goes but can last most of a day. I have also noticed that the gum around the implant looks different. After surgery I could hardly see the healing cap and there seemed to be more than a normal amount of gum, now the shape of the gumline is more like that around a normal tooth, revealing maybe 3mm of the healing cap.

Is this a normal part of the healing process?

I will try and see my dentist next week, but getting time to see him is not easy so I'm wondering if this is something to be worried about?

Many thanks :-)

I would advise you to see your implant dentist or even call the practice and explain the situation. Your gums will naturally grow over time so I dont think this is a problem. Where is the pain coming from, it is sore gums or does it feel like internal pain coming from the implant / jaw?

Let us know what your dentist says.
    admin

Thanks for the reply.

The pain is quite hard to localise, sometimes it's the jaw, sometimes it spreads to the face / nose / ear. It's not specific pain in the gums but seems to be something more general or 'deeper' if that makes any sense.

I'll try and see the dentist.

For an update, the dentist says there is no sign of infection around the implant and the x ray looks fine. However I am still getting pain every day. The dentist says if it doesn't stop in a week or two he will probably have to take the implant out. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I've been back to the dentist again as I am still having pain. He says the implant looks fine and instead suspects the tooth immediately below it might be inflamed and causing the pain that I think is from the implant. He wants to open that tooth up and check it.

I'm not convinced, all the pain I've had recently is in the top right of my mouth, never the bottom. Might looking at the lower tooth really fix this?