Default Implants - how long does each bit last?

I'm in the process of starting to get an implant. I'm wondering how long each part of the implant is expected to last. I asked my dentist and he said 10-15 years is the standard answer to that question, but they "can last a lifetime".

Looking online I also see mixed responses to the question, some going wrong after a few years and some fine after decades. How long is each part last - does the crown need changed first? Also, why do they go wrong, good hygiene is always listed as thing which makes them last longer, but why do they eventually fail? Do they become infected, loose, something else?

Many thanks.

The real answer is hard an it really depends on the individual. If the implant integrates well with your bone it should last a lifetime but this will depend on how you look after it, your oral hygiene regime, if you have gum disease or play contact sports that could knock the implant. There are many factors that will affect how long an implant will last but the standard reply you will hear quoted is 10-15 years.
    admin