Thread: implant query

Unhappy implant query

Hi
    I am wondering if I could be a candidate for implants, I lost several teeth I think, mainly due to undiagnosed coeliac condition which was eventually diagnosed approx 10 years ago. Last year I was told that I have osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia in hips, for which I now take Risedronate 35mg once a week. I am 47. A few years back a previous dentist advised me to have bottom front teeth capped as they were chipped. I had one done but the post was not put in right, it is lop-sided so caused the crowned tooth to not sit right and eventually loosen. I have had it fixed back on several times but now have been told that I will have to loose the tooth. So as it is a front tooth am asking for advice about implants, for both this tooth and the other back ones, as I have given up wearing bottom dentures because they cause me so much irritation, pain and causing me to not want to eat, smile or be sociable. Do you think my jaw bone will be strong enough, I think if this could be done successfully it would give me confidence back, which I am lacking.

Hi

I am afraid that is is very difficult to say whether you are an ideal candidate for implants, mainly because of your medical history.

I would advise you to arrange a consultation and bear in mind you may have to undergo some investigative test to check the density of your bone. Furthermore, your dentist will have to laise with your GP with regards to your medication.

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Exclamation

Thank you.
    I want to ask also if I am a candidate for implant and the bottom tooth needs to be removed by cutting in to the gum is it best to implant the stud in to the jawbone at the same time rather than have the tooth out, wait for the gum to heal then cut it again to do the implant. Also am worried about the length of time between having a tooth out and starting work on the implant what is best.
    I have in the meantime a gap in my lower front tooth which had a crown but the dentist says the root is cracked and there is no point putting it back in as it will just keep falling out. But I am very conscious of this gap and wondered what could be done in the meantime. I feel pressured to make a decision to have the tooth out now and have it on a denture because of the gap. My current dentist tells me that a previous dentist guided me wrong so now I have lost the trust and I dont want to make the wrong decision as I think I have in the past.
    Please can you advise me and what is available in the Hampshire Portsmouth area or do I need to go to London to get the best advice.

hi

there area number of points you have raised, so i will try to answer as best as i can. Please note that it important you seek a consultation with an implantologist.

1. implants can be placed immediately after extraction in some situations depending on the quality of the bone. sometimes it is better to wait 2 to 3 months depending on various factors. each case is different. The longer it is left after the extraction , the bone tends to shrink.
    In some cases the socket is grafted with bone to allow the bone width to maintained for a considrable amount of time, if a patient wants to leave implant placement for a considerable amount of time.

2. you say you have a possible fractured root. if this is the case then this should be removed immediately, because a fractured root will cause continued bone loss.

There is more information about implants on the cosmetic guide (home page). I have wrote an article there which you may find useful.

regards
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Default problem help!

Hi
    How do you know if a cosmetic dentist is the right one for you and is experienced enough. I have had a number of dentist in the past and easily lose my confidence when things go wrong; like the crown which I now have to have out as it was placed wrong in the first instance.
    I have been talking to a NHS dentist who also does private work and he is building me a new denture for my bottom back teeth but also wants to take what's left of this front crown out. I feel very nervous and am trying to get my head round this but what is making it worse is that I have this gap in the bottom teeth and the dentist wont put anything there temporarily as the crown has fallen out twice before and he says it will just keep falling out. I have lost my confidence, dont want to go out and smile etc, my family say they cant see it but I think they are trying to passify me and I can see and feel that there is this gap.
    please can you advise.

Hi

It is impossible to give a diagnosis and treatment plan without looking at the mouth and xrays.

You ask how to to find a good cosmetic dentist. Look at their postgraduate qualifications. Look at their cv. Look at their previous cases. Speak to previous patients who have been treated by the dentist. Many of our patients do this.

Also recommendations by family who have had cosmetic dentistry may be also useful.

I hope this helps.

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 05-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009