Default dental implant failure

I have 3 integral SD implants. they are 14 years old. One has failed. It is very loose, and has been for some time. as a result i am getting minor gum infections as "dirt" is behind the implant. The implant that has failed is my front left tooth. The 2 implants to the right are fine - 100%.

Please see an attached note from a dentist who tried to fix the implant 14 months ago.

the situation of a failed implant was caused by constant movement due to fault in the implant:

"We have a new patient to our practice with an Integral SD implant placed approx 12 years ago in South Africa. He was presented with a mobile crown, having been told by a dentist in Brussels that the implant was failing and needed to be removed, followed by a bone graft procedure. He was very apprehensive to proceed and as he now lives in Jersey contacted us. He immediately returned to Jersey and an emergency appointment was arranged with Mr Sharpe. He initially thought that it could be screw loosening. On examination the whole abutment and crown could be rotated. It was removed to try and identify what type of abutment had been used. (the patient has gained information from the restorative dentist who says that a custom abutment was made as there was a long travel between implant and gum margin). Everything was put back together, but there seems to be no anti-rotation on the screw used with the abutment. A temporary crown was made and kept out of occlusion, but without any knowledge of this system it is difficult to proceed"

This was the answer given to my dentist

"The Integral implant was not meant to be used as a single tooth replacement as there is no anti-rotation feature. The indications were for multiple tooth replacement or splinted to either another implant or a natural tooth via a precision or semi-precision attachment as it is a “flat-top” implant.

In situations where it was used as a single tooth I would recommend good inter proximal contacts to the adjacent teeth and possibly the use of either Implaseal(surgical grade silicon) or Tempbond(or any temporary cement) on the screw threads to help provide additional retention. Be sure to use a torque wrench to tighten the screw down to 20-30ncms, flat plane occlusion, group function, etc.

I hope this helps. The fact that it has already lasted 12 years is an indication of a favorable prognosis for the future"

The reality is that the implant is failing and that there is minimum contact between the implant and surrounding bone.

forgot to mention that , I am looking for my best solution.

Hi

My advice is that you find an experienced implant surgeon to rectify the problem. It is impossible to give a definitive answer to your problem without looking at the xray and clinical findings.

we would just be second guessing without an examination.

Best of luck!
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Thank you. will do