Default Can I get tooth root straight with a implant?

I suffered a displaced front tooth when I was younger and it was sticking out as a buck tooth. Rather than straighten it properly I had the tooth shaven down and had a veneer placed over the tooth to disguise it.

I regret doing it - in hindsight it was a bad mistake. But it was a long time ago.

Now my broken down front tooth is covered with a veneer. But underneath the veneer in the gum line the root of the tooth is still at the displaced sticking out position it has been stuck in for years.

Othrodontics cannot straighten the root now because there is no tooth on the outside to apply pressure on.

If I was to extract the displaced tooth / root - and replace it with a dental implant - would the dental implant root be able to be postioned straight / flat in my gum socket ? - considering at the moment the root to my tooth is sticking out in my gum line.

I dont wont to extract my tooth - however I dont want to live the rest of my life with the root stuck in my gum the way it is - and there is no way to straighten it.

Any advice ?

Generally speaking there is no reason that the tooth cannot be aligned with braces even with the veneer on. The veneer may need replacing but this is a preferable option to extraction.

If for some reason orthodontics cannot achieve what is required, or in addition to the orthodontics, there are other procedures such as gum recontouring that may be appropriate depending on the actual problem with the tooth/gum position. One could even consider a root treatment to allow more tooth reduction but braces would be the most conservative route.

Replacement with an implant is possible but it would undoubtedly be complicated and difficult to get the correct result.

See a BACD accredited dentist or at the very least a full member of this academy to get all the options available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbloom View Post
    Generally speaking there is no reason that the tooth cannot be aligned with braces even with the veneer on. The veneer may need replacing but this is a preferable option to extraction.

If for some reason orthodontics cannot achieve what is required, or in addition to the orthodontics, there are other procedures such as gum recontouring that may be appropriate depending on the actual problem with the tooth/gum position. One could even consider a root treatment to allow more tooth reduction but braces would be the most conservative route.

Replacement with an implant is possible but it would undoubtedly be complicated and difficult to get the correct result.

See a BACD accredited dentist or at the very least a full member of this academy to get all the options available to you.

Well I can replace the veneer after the brace comes off- it will cost a few more £ - but that is Ok - its a small price to pay to get my teeth right.

However I dont think the tooth can be aligned - because of the amount of tooth that was removed before the veneer went on - I'm missing most of my front tooth underneath the veneer.

Well I need to straighten out the rest of my top teeth - so I am going to have a brace first - to get everything as straight as I can - I know I can achieve that.

But I have been told that there will probaly be no change on the veneer tooth - as in the root will not straighten underneath the veneer - because there is simply not enough tooth underneath the veneer to apply pressure on.

I think the most sensible option would be to get everything as straight as I can with a brace first - and then see how things are then.

However if I still wanted to change the veneer tooth - of course I dont really want to extract my tooth and cause complications but I dont see any other way I could get the root flat.

Root treatment - what is that exactly ? - you say more tooth reduction - is it possible to acutally go into the root of the tooth and remove some of the root that is sticking out ?

Quote Originally Posted by davidbloom View Post