Default Titanium or Zirconia?

Hello again

I have decided to go for an implant on my LL5 tooth and I wondered if anyone could advice me of the best type of implant, namely titanium abutment and metal based crown or a ceramic/zirconia abutment and ceramic/zirconia crown?

I believe the ceramic option would look better aesthetically (no grey) but wondered about longevity on LL5. And also the additional cost?

Many thanks.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmarco View Post
    I believe the ceramic option would look better aesthetically (no grey) but wondered about longevity on LL5. And also the additional cost?
    Right on both counts
    Longevity should be equivalent, if it is made from Zerconia.
    Last edited by prosman; 02-08-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add to answer
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

The best and most researched material for the actual implant is titanium. The abutment can then be made of titanium or zirconium.

Whilst Zirconium is white and so potentially more aesthetic if there is a thin gum type, I would question whether this is necessary for a lower premolar when the gum margin is very unlikely to be visible. It is most common to use zirconium abutments at the front of the mouth for patients who show the gum in this region.

Personally if I use a metal abutment I tend to use a porcelain fused to metal crown , and if using a metal free abutment I use a metal free zirconium crown. Metal free options do allow for better light transmission but this would only really apply if the abutment is metal free; also a good ceramist can get porcelain fused to metal to look as good as metal free if there is enough space for the porcelain which there usually is with implants as there are less space restrictions involved. However having said all of this zirconium options are a good choice if that is what you decide

Normally zirconium options will be a little more costly