Default Temporary Adhesive Bridge Vs Denture

HI, ive got to replace one of my two front teeth with an implant soon, and im dreading having a temporary denture. I have since read that a temporary adhesive bridge could be used as an alternative in some cases, and wondered why my dentist didnt mention this? Are there any complications perhaps? I guess its more expensive, does anyone know of the cost involved?

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by squarebull View Post
    HI, ive got to replace one of my two front teeth with an implant soon, and im dreading having a temporary denture. I have since read that a temporary adhesive bridge could be used as an alternative in some cases, and wondered why my dentist didnt mention this? Are there any complications perhaps? I guess its more expensive, does anyone know of the cost involved?

Thanks,

Chris
    Hi Chris
    It depends on whether the teeth either side are crowned. If they are it is hard to glue anything onto them. If they are not then I would suggest the adhesive bridge every-time. Some dentists don't like it, especially if they are using an oral surgeon to place the implant as it is slightly more fiddly. Other reasons suggested for using a denture is that whatever is done you will appreciate it as you will no longer have to wear the denture
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Temporary adhesive bridges are fairly common place way of temporizing the space for an implant particularly at the front of the mouth .

There can be difficulties if there is insufficient space in the ‘bite’ to allow for this bridge as if an implant is to be placed any treatment involving temporary adhesive bridges should be reversible and so not include any tooth preparation.

However if thiere is insufficient space ,some dentists are happy to cement this temporary bridge ‘high’ in what is known as the Dahl principle

Costs should be in the region of hundreds not thousands for the temporary bridge and so whilst more expensive than a temporary denture not necessarily a lot more

Regards

David Bloom

Past President BACD

Accredited member BACD
    Dr David Bloom BDS