Default Just had an assessment - Looking for advice

Hi

Just had implant assessment from my dentist. Hopefully I can gain some advice before I make a decision.

I previously had 2 bridges fitted. 1at the front - UL1, UR1 UR2 with UR1 missing for a number of years. However, this started to fail 18 months ago & a denture was fitted to UR1 & 2 & a post & crown fitted to UL1. The crwon has never been right, not alligned properly, different shade & larger than all my adjacent teeth. So, I have been exploring the possibility of getting 2 implants & a bridge in this area & went to a different dentist for assessment where a CT scan was taken. On review of the scan, I was advised that there is sufficient bone etc to carry this out & it would be a simple procedure with minimum disruption - Great I thought, this is the way forward so arranged another consultation for this morning to discuss costs etc ....... Now this is where the pain started!!

On review of the CT scan, I was advised that I would indeed need 2 implants & a bridge at a cost of £5000. However, they noticed that I have an infection at my back bridge at UL4 & advised that this would also require extraction with a further 2 implants & bridge. I did not dispute that there may be some sort of infection present but did say that I feel that this bridge is solid, performing very well & Io not feel that implantology would be nessecary at this time. I was then told that they would not be prepared to carry out the implant surgery to the front unless I agreed to the back alo being carried out at the same time, wich incidently would also require a bone graft!!

In a nutshell, unless I agree to part with £10/12000 I will have to live with the crooked crown & denture. The other option was to have the back bridge & front crown extracted & a denture fitted

A friend recently had every tooth extracted & implants fitted from a dentist less than 10 miles away at a total cost of just over £9000 so why such a vast comparison on cost? I do apreciate that the actual implants are expensive to purchase but the markup must be extremely excessive from my guy surely?

Thanks in advance

OTR

Quote Originally Posted by ontherun View Post

A friend recently had every tooth extracted & implants fitted from a dentist less than 10 miles away at a total cost of just over £9000 so why such a vast comparison on cost? I do apreciate that the actual implants are expensive to purchase but the markup must be extremely excessive from my guy surely?
    why not see this guy for a second opinion?
    also why was this problem not picked up at the first review of the scan?
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)