Thread: Lava crowns

Default Lava crowns

Hi
    I have been bleaching my teeth for past few months but the three fron teeth are filled and the bleaching does not work on them
    My dentist has suggested three lava crown
    What do you think

anyone able to advise

Lava crowns are more a trade name for a 3M milled Zirconia product, than anything else. They can be quite translucent so are not necessarily always the best product for blocking out dark teeth
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

I would recommend you speak to your dentist about your concerns. Lava can be a good choice in certain circumstances but will also depend on the technicians preference for the specific case.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thanks for your help. I am just a bit worried in case they do not look right.He seems to think they would be the best.Its my three formt teeth
    Can anyone suggest anything else
    Also i have been lokkint at cosmetic dentists , am i better going with them

Many materials can be cosmetic, it depends if the dentist and technician understand the materials and can manipulate them correctly. I know Lava can have excellent cosmetics as can other materials. The key is understanding what needs to be done and choosing materials that have longevity.

Two of the teeth below are crowns, from a natural distance they cannot be seen, and they cover teeth which have gone black due to previous root treatments
    Last edited by Dr Pav Khaira; 11-19-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

are they lava though
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Hey Nick,

No they're not! Should have made it clear, my post was regarding the fact that material choice is only part of the equation. Different materials, different dentists and different technicians can have the same result, it all depends on correct choice of material and a dentists and technician team who work well together.

Nick, FYI both teeth had been root treated, one with a metal post. There was no separate opaquer used here, it was Emax high opacity that was cut back and layered with Authentic using a 2 stage custom finish. Massively time consuming but certainly work the effort!

I have had similar result with Lava but chose not to use it here due to the potential for higher translucency with the material
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pav Khaira View Post
    Hey Nick,

No they're not! Should have made it clear, my post was regarding the fact that material choice is only part of the equation. Different materials, different dentists and different technicians can have the same result, it all depends on correct choice of material and a dentists and technician team who work well together.

Nick, FYI both teeth had been root treated, one with a metal post. There was no separate opaquer used here, it was Emax high opacity that was cut back and layered with Authentic using a 2 stage custom finish. Massively time consuming but certainly work the effort!

I have had similar result with Lava but chose not to use it here due to the potential for higher translucency with the material
    Very nice work, Dr P.
    I hope you didn't find my question too cheeky.
    I 'spose the point I am making (and I think you are supporting), is that the material/ trade name is not the key... it is the skill of the individual professionals that counts.
    Rgs
    Nick

Nick, not a cheeky question at all. Nice to know we agree on the matter!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com