Thread: Crown advice

Unhappy Crown advice

I was told by my Dentist that i needed a crown fitted on one of back teeth,i had the crown fitted today but when i got home i noticed that it was not a full crown as i was expecting but a partial crown only covering half the tooth. Is this normal?, as i am not very happy as i presumed a crown covered the whole tooth and i would have rather have had this as i feel it would have been stronger. Is there any point in complaining or is this normal pratice to do this type of crown?(NHS by the way).

a crown usually covers the entire tooth and surrounds it 360 degrees, ie it fits over your tooth like a glove, i would expres your concerns with your dentist who may well have a valid reason for the type of restoration he/she has placed which sounds like a onlay / inlay to me.

Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress
    admin

onlays (3/4 7/8 partial crowns) are usually very good restorations and take more skill to repair but they are not crowns
    it all depends on the nhs rules which i am not familiar with, unfortunately
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)