Thread: metal crowns??

Default metal crowns??

I visited my dentist a couple of weeks ago who said I needed a crown on a tooth which has slowly fell apart, he said my options were to pay £300 privately or get a metal one on the nhs, I said I couldn't walk around with a metal tooth and he siad my only other option was to go private, is this right? Its at the bottom of my mouth about 6 back from the front but will still be visible when I smile. Is this my only option, I don't pay for treatment at the moment but don't really want a piece of metal in my mouth. Why can't it be covered white like others?

Default NHS metal crowns

I am not sure about the availability of dental corwns on the NHS and if certain practices can only offer metal corwns but i do know that there are NHS practices that do offer white or porcelain crowns but these may be metal bases with a porcelain cover, is your dentist offering you an all-porcelain crown for £300?
    admin

I don't know if its covered or all porcelain but the point is an all metal crown?? i didn't know there was such a thing

Haven't done NHS for many years (outside of hospital) and at that stage they did not allow provision for white crowns on posterior teeth, can't see things having changed since then.

Sorry, an nhs dentist may be able to give you more up to date info though

Nick Fahey
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)