Question NHS crown vs Private Crown?

Hi there, I've had a porcelain and metal bonded crown on my main front left tooth for the last 6 years. It has been EXCELLENT, no problems. It was a perfect fitt. Supplied and fitted 6 years ago through NHS. It is fitted onto my real tooth. My tooth has been filed down to a stub.

A tiny crack appeared a few years ago in the porcelain and two weeks ago my porcelain crown broke in the middle of the night. It just fell apart at 5am. So frightening!! I didn't bang it and I don't think i have ever banged it as I have been very carefull with it. Only the porcelain broke off... the black metal is still fixed on my tooth with the permenant dentist glue. I had the scariest smile for a while! lol Im not much of a confident guy and this has REALLY knocked my confidence I went to the dentist and he has re-created a temporary front tooth from filler...but its grey because of the metal underneath... in some daylight ive been told it looks green

What is the difference, between an NHS crown and a private crown in terms of shape, fitting, colour, durability, quality and everything else a perfect crown should be? Shouldn't the quality of an NHS crown be the same as a private crown? Am I entitled to request, under my entitlement to rights from NHS dental treatment received, that i would like the NHS crown to be the same quality as a private crown? Am I entitled to an all ceramic crown under NHS rather than a porcelain/metal bonded crown? It is for my main front left tooth. Looking forward to your advice. Many many thanks. Bradley

Hi all, i havent heard from anyone i kinda really need some advice on my questions, ive got to make a decision very soon and i have nowhere else to turn to...Can anyone help with answers to my questions? Ive realised how important front teeth are and how they can have a huge effect with interacting with people. Basically, my life has changed for the worse...i need advice...i will really appreciate any help...many many thanks
    Last edited by Bradley; 08-25-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added more info

Hi
    I can't help you with the ins and outs of the NHS as I have not done NHS work outside of the hospital since 97. However, as with most things in life it is possible to have both good and bad dentistry done both on the NHS or Privately.
    I don't think its easy for any dentist to reply on a forum about the NHS on the questions you ask and that is probably why you have not had an answer.
    My 2c is ask you friends who have crowns if they have a dentist they are happy with and go and see them, ask them your questions and if you are happy with the answers, and the relationship then book for treatment.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Question Urgent advice needed by tonight 13.09.09

Hi, 2 weeks ago i was scheduled to have my crown replaced on my upper left central incisor. My dentist said he couldnt do it as there might be movement in my teeth causing me to grind my teeth in the night...causing the crown to crack. He said i must fix this before we start the crown creation process otherwise my next crown will crack. i fully understand and agree with him. He also noticed my first bicuspid and second bicusbid on my lower teeth have slightly lost the points to them that are used to crunch food...

(The week prior to this appointment an emergency dentist re-created an upper left incisor for me from filler as a temporary measure on the day the crown fractured untill my dentist was back from holiday)

The filler has broken off, leaving me with a black small stub on my main front upper left tooth. I am going on holiday to Poland on 16th Sept for 2 weeks. I have an appointment with my actual dentist tomorrow morning 10am (Mon 14th Sept) I would really like him to put in a temporary crown rather than just repair the filler with more filler (as the filler did not last long)

I have been reffered to London Hospital restorative dept for the minor grinding problem but my app is in Oct. Even though I have this minor grinding problem. Can I request my dentist to remove the black metal from the old porceline crown and put a temp crown rather than just filler? I feel a temp crown will last longer than filler? thus saving my dentist time in the future each time the filler breaks off untill we reslove the movement/grinding problem. All this will need to be done through NHS

please please can someone advise me.

Many many thanks

how did you get on?
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)