Default Should I have my tooth out or a crown with root canal?

Hello all,
    About eight years ago the front fell off one of my teeth. The dentist said I wouldn't lose the tooth, and he packed it up with a filling it was more filling than tooth, but at least I still had my tooth. Now part of the filling has fallen out, and the tooth is giving me pain. I went to the Dentist today [a new one as I have now moved to a new area] she x rayed my tooth and said she would have to do a root canal, then fill the tooth and cap it, or I could have it extracted. I don't know what to do, the tooth is at the side and not visible when I smile, she also said the tooth is very weak, could it break again when she drills out the existing filling?? I haven't had a tooth out since I was eleven years old so losing one would be awful but would it be a waste of time to cap it ? I am now in my mid fifties. Thank you, Chez

Chez, if the tooth is restorable it sounds very much like you will need a root canal treatment then have the tooth rebuilt with a crown. When exectued well it will probably last you a very long time. Another viable alternative may be to have the tooth removed and then have an implant put in place. A denture to replace a single tooth would not be easy to get on with

Hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Hello, thank you for your reply, it does help me decide what to do. I did think of having a false tooth, but like you say one would be a bit awkward. I will probably go for the crown. Thank you again for your help, Chez