sarahlou

Angry Unhappy with new crown have black marks on them

Hi

I am new to this site, so I'm not sure how this works but.... Earlier this week my dentist fitted a new crown for me. At the previous appointment when the impression was taken I chose to go for a porcelain crown as opposed to the other available (grey metal I believe). The porcelain crown was more expensive, and although it was to replace a tooth towards the back of my mouth, I decided I would go for it for its cosmetic value. After having the crown fitted, I went back to work to look at it only to discover that it had two black marks on it, presumably where the dentist had drilled it as it was too high. I telephoned the dentist to express my disappointment with it and she said it wasn't where she had drilled it it was my bite' that had caused the marks to appear through the porcelain. Well, that was only after having it fitted for approx. 5 mins goodness only knows what it will look like after a couple of years! I am really disappointed with this and feel like I am being short changed. I chose this crown as I specifically wanted it to fit in with my other teeth and now it looks like I have tooth decay or two separate black fillings. The dentist did say she could replace it with a 'porcelain only' tooth but that they tend to fracture more than ones like these that have a metal cover underneath. I am wondering if anyone else has come across this problem or can offer any advice? The tooth cost me £350.00 which I feel is a lot of money to pay and be dissatisfied with the outcome!

Smile hi, whats the update?

hi, whats the update with your crown? did you get a refund? did it get fixed? did you get an 'all porcelain' one?
    cheers

is the black area at the margins of the crown if so are you sure that it is all-porcelain?
    admin

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    is the black area at the margins of the crown if so are you sure that it is all-porcelain?
    Very important question!!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

if you are not happy and they have offered to replace it then get it replaced
    nick fahey
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Whilst all porcelain crowns that are strong enough to withstand the biting forces at the back of the mouth are an option, they tend to be more expensive again than porcelain fused to metal crown because they are more costly to make. Porcelain fused to metal crowns involve a metal sub structure with porcelain fused over it (rather than a zirconium tooth coloured core). If the metal is shining through it is most likely because not enough clearance in the bite has been provided for the laboratory. This may have been because your dentist did not want to reduce the tooth underneath further but ideally this would have been discussed with you. I would suggest you discuss this further with your dentist

Regards

David Bloom
    Past President BACD
    Accredited member BACD
    Dr David Bloom BDS