Thread: new crown issue

Unhappy new crown issue

Hello,

I had a crown fitted on a front tooth 10 years ago which was never that convincing, with a dark visible line on the gum line. The tooth underneath is dead and black (impact injury, nerve taken out), so the gum also looks slightly discoloured.

Last year i finally decided I wanted a more natural looking tooth so I went to have it replaced and was advised a porcelain crown. I went with this, the dentist was helpful and friendly and I left pretty happy with the results, although the join to the gum did look slightly hard, square and white.

But now a year later i've started to notice a faint, dark line appearing on the gum join, becoming increasingly visible over the past few weeks.

It seems like the gum is receding and the dark tooth becoming visible underneath, either that or the the top of the crown is wearing down (?)

Does anyone know where I stand regarding this? It seems like a lot of money to be spending for such temporary results, it's not a million miles away from where it was before (although the rest of the tooth looks better), I cant help feeling it was a waste of money since i went in for purely cosmetic reasons.

Do i have any rights regarding replacement or compensation or is it just tough luck since the crown is still attached? I look after my teeth, so it's not like they're getting neglected

Sorry if this question has been answered else where. Any advice/knowledge anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Firstly and most importantly I would urge you to discuss with the
    dentist that placed the new crown.

While gum position can change there are accepted criteria for predicting
    if this will happen. This involves the biological width (space between
    edge of gum and edge of bone). If there is excess gum here there is
    potential for recession but equally this width must not be invaded or
    the gum will not be healthy. There are reasons such as gum disease that
    can involve the bone position changing resulting in recession. For all
    of these reasons you should discuss this with the treating dentist

Regards

David Bloom
    Past President BACD