Default part porcelin part metal...

I had a crown/cap put in and because I grind my teeth, I thought I had chipped the porcelin on the tongue side. I went back the dentist and he said that was how he made it and I just had not noticed. Shouldn't he had told me first, what type of crown I was getting. After all I am paying for it and it's going to be a permanent part of me. Why are they making these crowns??? They look black on one side and white on the other.

I would agree that it should have been discussed what type of crown you were getting.

I would however want to reassure you that porcelain fused to metal crowns are by far the most common type of crown made. The metal forms the sub structure and then porcelain is bonded to it- therefore to have it tooth coloured on the inside more tooth would have had to be removed to accommodate the porcelain.

All porcelain crowns with a tooth coloured core are now available and strong enough to match porcelain fused to metal but these are generally more costly.

It may also be appropriate to discuss your grinding with your dentist as it may be this needs some attention. As well as reinforcing any heavily restored teeth it may be good to address the cause of any breakages (see if the grinding can be prevented) or also provide some other means of protecting the teeth such as a splint

+1 should have discussed with you the material of the crown
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)