Default Individual crowns or fixed block

My front teeth are slowly being worn away ... (I'm 65)

Several years ago I had my bottom front teeth crowned (ceramic) with individual crowns and they are perfect.

However now wanting my top front teeth done, my dentist says he will join them all together ... I'm really NOT happy with that Idea.
    He says that I won't come back to him so quickly with 6 caps fitted together.
    As I already have 6 individual caps under without problems I don't see the validity of his arguement.
    I'm chosing plastic type of caps this time ... a heck of a lot cheaper .. OK they won't last so long but the insurance will pay again at a later date.

QUESTIONS:-
    Is it NORMAL to fix all the caps together in a block?
    Would I be within my rights to TELL him that I want individual caps?
    Should I tell him to take a running jump and go to another dentist?

Linked crowns have their pros and cons, but unfortunately it's quite technical. Linked crowns are sometimes considered for those who have had gum disease in order to give a predictable bite in static and functional movements. On the down side they are harder to maintain

Some people do try to dictate exactly what treatment they want, I would start by voicing your concerns to your dentist and see what they say. If you are still unhappy then you always have the option of finding another dentist.

With regards to going for the cheaper option, please remember that cheap is often false economy as plastic crowns are not designed to last long term

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pav Khaira View Post
    plastic crowns are not designed to last long term
    We use plastic crowns all the time... we call them temporary crowns
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)