Default Large upper teeth gap invisible or lingual braces

Hello,

I am a 20 year old male with generally very healthy teeth; I have never really had cause to see a dentist beyond a standard check up. I do however have large gaps between my upper teeth, especially between the front two. I have been told that my teeth are too small for my mouth, probably as a result of genetics?

Either way it never used to bother me, however now I am at university I constantly notice the gaps. I find myself holding back from smiling and pulling stupid grins with my mouth shut.

I built up the courage to go and see an orthodontist and he offered me standard train tracks but was not very enthusiastic. Treatment would take around 15 months and would cost several thousand pounds. The main stumbling block was that I would rather have the gaps than have the traditional braces and he did not mention any invisible alternative. I am currently applying for jobs and a mouth full of metal is not an option. Subsequently I have investigated invisaglin (which he never mentioned) and I would be willing to pay the price.

I am, however, reluctant to fork out another £75 consultation fee when I suspect the central gap between my two front teeth may be too large (2.5-3.5mm by my inexact reckoning). Furthermore closing that gap would create another gap and so on. I suspect the orthodontist I went to see never mentioned this solution because the gap was indeed too large for this treatment.

I guess my main question is how large a gap can invisaglin rectify?

Thank you in advance.

Closing gaps is far better done with train track style braces. It can be done with Invisalign but it is a very difficult movement and the success may be limited.

Your concerns about opening up other gaps is right on. If your teeth are the wrong size for your mouth, the solution will most likely be veneers. However it is not a case of 2 veneers to close th space. teeth should be a certain size and proportion to one another and if you just place 2 veneers you may disturb this balance.

It may be for yourself that the best result would be achieved by a combination of bracework and veneers. Without a full consultation it is difficult to say

I hope this answers your questions

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thank you for your response.

What about Lingual Invisible Braces, are these as effective at closing multiple gaps as traditional train tracks? I understand that they are attached to the back of your teeth and that although they take longer to adjust, they cannot be seen.

As I said I am going to interviews regularly and I don't feel that I could wear traditional braces.

Thanks again.

Yes they can be just as good as traditional train track braces. The technique is quite difficult and you will need to find a skilled orthodontist who does this a lot
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy