Thread: crooked teeth

Default crooked teeth

i have slight crooked teeth i would like to have them sorted but my dentist said its a waste of time because they have a small chip, would it be a waste of time??

Dear Tracey, is your dentist a general dentist or a cosmetic dentist?

I wouldn't say straightening your crooked teeth is a waste of time at all both for functional and aesthetic reasons. If you feel that straightening your teeth will make you look and feel better about your smile then it is not a waste of time.

Your teeth having a small chip should not be a valid reason for not having tooth straightening or it being a waste of time. Your teeth can be given a straighter appearance with porcelain veneers which would also "fix" the chipped tooth. alternatively the chipped tooth can be repaired by cosmetic bonding. It all depends how badly they are chipped.

The traditional route for straightening your crooked teeth are some form of orthodontics either fixed braces, the inman aligner or invisalign invisible braces.

functionally crooked teeth may affect your bite and also make dental hygiene more difficult, especially flossing.

I hope the above helps, Im sure Pav will chip in some words of wisdom when he gets on the forum next.

Popadoopus
    Popadoopus

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Straightening crooked teeth is not a waste of time. Although it is imperative that the most appropriate method is used. Options range from Invisalign to teh Inman aligner to traditional bracework. At the moment I offer complimentary tooth whitening with bracework

What concerns me more are the chips on your teeth. It is crucial that we find out what the source is, some causes of chipped teeth and tooth wear are extremely destructive and need to be treated immediately

I understand you have desires to straighten your teeth, but i would like to make you aware that you potentially have a serious problem brewing there.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Default correction of crooked teeth

hi tracey, i see your main concern is your crooked smile. this can be easily rectified by the use of invisible braces, ie invisalign.

they are a great way of non invasively improving the allignment of your teeth and smile. as one of the other dentists commented during this procedure which can be quite lengthy you can simultaneously whitened your teeth.

the other issue is the chipped teeth, which may have been caused due to grinding, or trauma. if it is grinding we need to protect your teeth from futher damage by wearing a night guard, which is a soft gum shield which is worn while sleeping.

Studies prove that teeth are in contact for around 3 mins per day, but if you grind at night, can be in contact for over three hours so this is when potential damage is done.

If trauma is the cause then once the teeth are straight we can repair the chips if they are a concern to you.

hope all this is helpful.

Dr Kailesh Solanki
    kissdental
    www.kissdental.co.uk