Page 2 of 2 First 12

The NHS have a scale called index of treatment need (IOTN), this measures the patient's dental health need on a scale of 1 to 5. Only patients who score above 3.6 on this scale would be eligible for NHS funding.
    admin

Is treatment for an underbite available privately? What sort of cost would I be looking at? Just curious.

If you google the British Orthodontic Society Itinery of Orthodontic Need they have images and descriptions of cases that are eligible for NHS treatment so you could get some idea of wheter you are eligible. My underbite is Greade 5, my lower teeth come out 1cm past my upper teeth!! (embarrasing) I get my braces fitted in August, two years after my dentist referred me as the waiting list for NHS orthodontics is LONG. Cost for private underbite correction would be thousands!! £2000 upwards for the braces, then £3000 or £4000 at least per jaw. But some underbites can be fixed with braces alone.

As admin has mentioned, it all depends on the severity of the problem. If you are in doubt you can always ask for a consultation with an orthodontist

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy