Default Overcrowding and protruding canines

I'm 23 and thinking about finally straightening my teeth. I should have had braces as a teenager and got as far as having a removable brace made before chickening out - at that time the thought of an ugly, lispy, removable brace then train tracks wasn't something I felt comfortable with. That's still the case, but now there are more discrete options available now I'd love to be able to smile without embarassment.

The main problems as I see them are:

- protruding canine teeth (my two front teeth are almost perfectly straight). One of the top ones sticks out quite a bit and sometimes pokes out even when I smile with my lips closed, which I hate

- overcrowding (my dentist years ago said I needed my wisdom teeth removed which I never had done.) They're about half through now with half of each tooth still beneath the gum

I haven't been to the dentist for a couple of years but have never needed any fillings so I believe the teeth themselves to be in reasonably good health. As I'm fairly young I'm keen to keep my 'real' teeth rather than opt for veneers etc.

I have quite a high profile job which involves meeting clients and talking to people a lot. I really need a treatment that can be seen as little as possible, and which won't affect my speech too much.It sounds vain but I'd rather it was painful that obvious!

I appreciate that a consultation is required to give specific advice but I would really appreciate some advice on the pros and cons of Invisalign vs lingal braces for a case like mine, in terms of cost, effectiveness and appearance. Also, is a retainer needed after treatment for both these systems, and what would that look like?

I live and work in London, so can probably find someone to carry out either treatment. If anyone knows of a practice that carries out both these treatments and can give me an unbiased consultation contrasting the two that would be helpful too.

Sorry this is so long...thanks!

Lingual orthodontics is certainly an option but there are often problems with wires and brackets coming off etc.

Invisalign may certainly be an option, or the Inman aligner may also be suitable but without a consultation it will be difficult to say more. The good thing about the Inman aligner is the short treatment time. I have one client who was quoted a time of 2 years for braces and we expect to be finished within 6 months.

The aligner is fairly discreet and lisps normally disappear within 2 weeks. Invisalign is obviously very discreet. Cost very much depends on how much tooth movement is required.

Wisdom teeth do not cause crowding. I would highly recommend a consultation if you have not seen a dentist for a while, remember that most dental problems do not give pain. Assuming you have no problems is not a good idea!

I hope this answers your questions

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy