Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Advice on 6 Month Smiles costs

Recently been to see a consultant and was recommended 6 month smile plan, planning to space the existing teeth allowing for a recessed tooth to be moved back into place, the price I was quoted was around £3,300 but was also told I need £1,200 of work done in addition which mainly consisted of redoing existing fillings and composite building out of one tooth.

Does £4,500 seem a lot of money for this, whilst I really want the work done its seems very expensive on top of this they want me to visit the hygenist a couple of times

Does this sound normal to people I though 6 months smiles was a cheaper more affordable method of treatment and around £1,500 - £2,500 maximum. I really think I should get a second opinion once I get the figures in writing and clarify I did get the figures right as at this price I think even this method it out of my price range.

I welcome any professional comments or comments from people who have experience of the 6 month smile procedure.

Default six months smile cost

Hi,

I have a six months smile brace fitted at the moment and it has cost me £1,500, I didn't need any additional work done and my brace has been on for 7 months and is now ready to be removed. I think that the price has now gone up slightly but only about £200.

I will send you a private message with my dentists details

Carol

Hi

The price can vary but the most important things to consider are
    1. the experience of the surgeon
    2. how many case have they done and do they have a large portfolio to show you
    3. do they have an orthodontic background i.e msc or diploma

Remember cheap is not always best! Prices vary on complexity and usually there is no stand price for one case as each case is different.

Hope this is helpful.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

good points here from Dr Sepehrara, a consultant has to have a lot of experience and training to become a consultant
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Thanks for your inputs everyone I have found it extremely valuable, looks like I might need to research for a more general dentist surgery who can do the 6MS for less than £2k, or forget about having it done as unfortuantly my budget cannot stretch any further than mentioned as I have a young family to support

use this guide or search engines to find local dentists and see if they will do a free consultation, yuou may well be able to find someone to help.
    ask to see before and afters, how many cases they do/ have done, if you can talk to pts who have had the treatment... if they seem to be able to provide reasonable answers and can bring it in at your budget you have your winner
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

you may be able to get something for your budget...really depends on the complexity. Six months smiles is appropriate to treat the front teeth only and for cases with mild to moderate crowding.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

I have a six months smile brace fitted at the moment and it has cost me £1,500, I didn't need any additional work done and my brace has been on for 7 months and is now ready to be removed. I think that the price has now gone up slightly but only about £200.

I will send you a private message with my dentists det

hi carol
    i,ve been reading all your posts and am very interested in the 6 month smile, did you have your upper and lower teeth done and were there any additional costs, please could send me details of your dentist - thanks

These fees seem about right if they include all retention fees. I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with the dentist involved. You can always get a second opinion to confirm what is required but do not be surprised if the detail differs slightly as many dentists will treatment plan differently. However the explanations of why treatment is required should be similar. In dentistry it is not generally a good idea to shop on price but rather on the confidence you have in the ability of the dentist to deliver what has been discussed and agreed. A small difference in price may equate to a big difference in the final result

Regards

David Bloom
    Past President BACD
    Accredited member BACD
    Dr David Bloom BDS