Thread: Mac Veneers

Default Mac Veneers

I have seen these MAC veneers mentioned quite a lot in the press and media and I guess they have gained their popularity through celebrity makeovers in California. I also believe that MAC veneers have been featured on reality smile makeover TV shows in the States.

Well my question is - Are MAC Veneers any different from pressed ceramic veneers available from any good dental technician, I made the assumption that the materials in MAC veneers are not superior to those you could get from any other high end dental laboratory. The overall aesthetics of the veneers is more down to the dentist involved in the smile design and the technician and his/her skills. I am assuming the same goes for Da Vinci veneers?

Does the lab that produces MAC veneers have a minimal high standard that it meets with its restorations or is it purely a marketing hype?
    Popadoopus

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Popadoopus, Mac veneers, Lumineers and Da Vinci veneers all have one thing in common. Good marketing.

Many of these companies say they can get their materials ultra thin (0.3mm). I've made "normal" veneers 0.2mm thick. Its all about the skill of the technician and whether the dentist can handle porcelain as thin as that.

Many people want "no prep" veneers, I wouldn't want this on my teeth as you need some preparation to the teeth in order to be able to bond the veneers to the teeth and no prep veneers don't look particularly great either.

Its often said that "normal" veneers preparation can be painful. This simply is not true. If the preparation is kept within enamel there should be pretty much zero discomfort.

Many people are opting for veneers rather than bracework. I'd sy don't rule out bracework. With Invisalign and the Inman aligner, your can have discreet and rapid bracework done to help the cosmetic result.

Veneers bonded to enamel actually reinforce the strength of the teeth. Occasionally I have client ask me for veneers when they are actually need a little bracework first to move their teeth into a better position. This simple bracework would enhance their result and prolong the life of their veneers.

Most of my clients accept this and are thrilled with the results. There are a few I simply can't help if they refuse to accept some bracework. As you know I undertake treatment as I would have done on myself and sometimes I can't justify huge preparation to teeth just to place veneers quickly.
    Last edited by Dr Pav Khaira; 02-05-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

I guess I was righ that MAC veneers are just like any other and the thickness of them is down to the individual case and also the patient themselves. I agree with what you say and avoid tooth reduction at all costs but I guess some patients want a "qucik fix" or preffer the aesthetics veneers give them over ortho - I guess the point most conservative dentists try to make is if you have some ortho pre-veneer treatment then you can actually minimise tooth prep.
    Popadoopus

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Exactly right. When the veneers are prepared in enamel, they are incredibly strong. Many would benefit from pre veneer ortho as you quite rightly said.

I'm not into quick fix, I'm into doing things right. Quite often the process can be very quick, even with braces. Sometimes it can take a very long time. Its down to what needs to be done to ensure long term success
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy