Thread: gutted

Default gutted

Hello,
    I have recently had 8 porcelain veneers fitted. These were to replace a set that i chose to have done last year to improve my smile. The first set were adversely affecting my bite and after much stress and deliberation, the dentist agreed to replace them without charge.
    The new ones are great in terms of my bite, the size and shape is ideal but i am devastated because they are yellow. Ive always had quite white teeth and these are very dull and to me, dont look clean because of the yellowness in them. They are darker than my lower teeth and dont match.
    Im beside myself with worry because I dont think i can go on with these, but given the 7000 Ive already spent I cannot afford to go elsewhere. I feel very self-conscious and im trying not to smile openly now, which is just not like me!

I am 23, if I was able in some way to have these re-done by a different dentist, would this be damaging to my teeth as that would make it the third time? Also, would it be possible for a dentist to replace veneers with ones in a whiter shade, exactly copying the shape of the ones I have on now?
    Perhaps you could shed some light for me on this?
    Thank you very much

Hi

1. yes you can have them redone by another dentist if you wish, but remember that you will be causing some extra damage to your teeth, by having this done. Therfore i would strongly think about replacing them, unless it is truely necessary. Please note that every time you remove veneers you are putting extra heat insult on to your pulp (i.e nerve). You explained that you have already had them replaced three times.
    2.yes you could have a whiter shade and the shapes of the veneers can be copied, as long as the dentist takes impressions and photos of your current veneers.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dr Kalpesh Bohara; 03-18-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

I can understand your concerns and how upsetting it can be. It would certainly be possible to copy the shape you currently have and lighten them to match your natural teeth.

I would first recommend that you speak to your dentist to see what can be done. Veneers can be removed very carefully with just a minimal amount of further tooth structure removed.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Hi

yes, veneers can be removed by minimal tooth removal, but please be aware that every time you drill in the tooth you are causing an insult to the nerve. You are only 23 years old, you have just had your second set of veneers done. So before embarking on any new treatment, carefully consider the pros and cons.

Best Wishes

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thank you for your responses.

I'm torn as to what to do, yes I've had them done twice so far.
    My teeth were initially prepared quite minimally I was told.
    What do you feel would be the likelihood of further damage occuring if I were to go ahead and have them done again? The last thing I would want to do is put the health of my teeth at risk.
    Just so disappointed with the colour, Ive just got engaged as well and would have yellow teeth on the wedding photos!

Thanks again

It's of concern that you are not happy with your new veneers. With ultra careful techniques the veneers can be removed very conservatively. It very much depends on the original preparation and confidence of your dentist

I hope that helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy