Default Veneers or braces???

Hi everyone,
    Currently the line and length of my teeth are quite irregular and my two front teeth overlap slightly.
    My options are either braces or veneers and would like any opinions anybody might have:

Recently I had a consultation with an orthodontist and was told the best braces for me would be fixed ones in front of the teeth. This would take 2 years and I would need 2 top and 2 bottom teeth removed. After this I would probably need to wear a retainer.
    What I would like to ask is will the braces actually help change and even out the lengths of the teeth?

Veneers are my other option. I would need to have at least 8 or 10 veneers. This means removing some of the tooth structure. What I would like to ask is, since the condition of my teeth is actually quite good, would it be unwise to have veneers? I have read through many people’s stories here, where they have a lot of problems with their veneers. I realise that it depends on the quality of the veneers and skill of the cosmetic dentist, but is it common for teeth to be sensitive after veneers are fitted, will they be strong enough to eat normally and can they fall off?

My current feeling to go with veneers as I think that even after braces, the lengths and shape of my teeth might still not be right. However I’m a bit apprehensive of possible functional problems of veneers with no going back!

I am prepared to spend up to £500 per veneer- is this a good amount for top quality veneers? Finally does anybody have any recommendations for cosmetic dentists in Edinburgh or Glasgow?

I’d appreciate any info! THANKS

Hi Lucy. It is very difficult to say exactly what needs to be done without a full consultation. The answer to your question is to do whatever needs to be done to achieve a natural looking and long lasting result. This can sometimes be achieved with braces, veneers, gum surgery or a combination of numerous different approaches.

I am currently out in the States teaching some of these principles. Do note that if veneers are done well, they are very strong restorations and you can expect them to last a very long time without significant problems. If poor quality work is done, you will not only compromise your result but also longevity.

Your teeth may be sensitive during treatment but you should have no sensitivity once the veneer are placed. I often use braces to straighten teeth prior to veneer preparation, this allows me to do extremely minimal preparation to the teeth and massively enhance long term durability.

Do be aware that you will have to have the veneers placed periodically. The key is to diagnose the cosmetic problem correctly. I have seen many people who have been told they need 10+ veneers, but many can achieve natural result with braces and fewer veneers.

I hope you can understand why you would need a consultation to assess your situation!

£500 per veneer will allow you to have mid range veneers placed, but it does very much depend on complexity.

I only ever recommend the highest quality work as this would give you more natural and longer lasting results

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

hi there,
    Thanks very much for your reply.

If i am to have braces first and then have veneers, this would still require teeth to be removed to provide the space. But also having veneers alone would mean reducing some of the teeth...
    I'll should discuss this at a consultation- does anybody recommend any cosmetic dentists in Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Also on the issue of cost, if £500 only buys a mid range veneer- how much would I expect to pay for a top of the range veneers?

Hi

Charges of veneers at our practice range from £550 to £850. We give the choice to the patient of which lab they want to work with, and therfore this reflects on the cost.

In some other parts of the UK, costs of veneers are from £1000.00 and above. There are many factors which are taken into account when charging for veneers.

You said "Currently the line and length of my teeth are quite irregular and my two front teeth overlap slightly." You also explained that the condition of your teeth were very good. It sounds like orthodontics would be a good option for you, rather than veneers, but it is difficult to say without looking at the mouth.

Good luck!

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 08-19-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

There are generally a range of fees for veneers. It is often very difficult to give a price "per veneer" as one tooth may need some preparatory work doing before a veneer can be prepared and placed.

I often quote for everything that is required to give the very best results, but on average for top veneers you can expect to pay from £700-£1000 "per tooth". If the desired result is complex to achieve it may be more than this. However you should always expect a full treatment estimate prior to starting any work

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy