Thread: Sloppy Lab Work

Cool Sloppy Lab Work

If you have read my dental journey, you'll be aware that I'm undergoing a mini smilemakeover on my four front teeth. My dental experience has overall been really good up until I was due to undergo the final fit of my 3 veneers and 1 crown.
    Firstly I was advised that one of the main front veneers had a line appearance which looked like an internal crack after being numbed for the procedure (4 injections)! I would have thought that my dentist would have checked them beforehand.
    When I went for my second final fit appointment I jokingly advised that I wouldn't be getting in the chair until it was confirmed that the problem had been rectified, I was expecting a new veneer to be made but to my amazement the line appearance was still visible and my dentist advised that it looked like they had put it back in the furnace which hadn't resolved the issue.
    After asking to see the veneers again I noticed that that two front veneers were not identical in shape and size as they were on the wax mock up. I pointed my concern out to which he then noticed and advised he would arrange for both to be replaced.
    I have since asked that I have an appointment to inspect final works before final fit apt. This is so I don't get all excited only to be disappointed. I'm so happy with my temporary fit that I want to ensure the end result matches to what I currently have.
    My dentist has not offered any financial compensation for the inconvienience I've been caused (I've paid £4k ). Would it be reasonable for me to request some ? My dentist does appear young and I'm surprised that following my first disaster he didn't check before I wasted a second journey.
    I have requested that my dentist inform the lab of their incompetence. The first mishap is forgiveable but a second in my view is totally unacceptable and tarnishes the reputation of the practice. Friends and family are amazed that I'm still wearing my temporary fit and I'm very tired of having to tell everyone of my disasters so much so that I'm keeping quiet on the dental front until the final fit has been done!
    I've worn my temporary fit for just over a month -how long will it last ? Would love to hear the opinions and comments of the dentists on this board. I have to laugh at my situation, it's a comedy of errors! I've overcome my phobia of oral injections .
    I'd like to hear the dentists opinions on this one !
    Last edited by Calmy; 08-11-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo

Hi

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, bur remember mistakes happen. We are dealing with the human body and there are so many variables.

We sometimes leave temporaries in for 3 to 6 months to check that the bite is correct before we go to the final restorations. Therefore leaving it in for one month is not a big deal. Each case is individual.

I am sure you will be eventually happy with the final result.

Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Hi Calmy Raha is right, we all make mistakes and I guess your main concern is that your time has been wasted which is understandable, what I would say is voice your concerns with the dentist and also the fact that the dentist has offered to go back to the la and have the work replaced is a testament to his/her commitment to you as a patient and getting it 100% right for you. Sometimes dentist cannot control what the lab do but once again teh fact that the dentist has pointed out these flaws to you give you an idea of that particular dentist's high standards.

I think at this stage wait to see what your final restorations look like and dont forget to voice your concerns with your dentist as really if the restorations were checked before numbing you up it would have avoided going through that procedure for nothing and wasting your time

Also I have known patients to stay in temporary restorations for 6-8 months so your situation is not out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps

Admin