Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Composite to replace porcelain

Hello,
    4 Years ago I had porcelain veneers put on my top 6 teeth. I orginally had strong teeth with just a small chip in it. I was a victim of bad cosmetic dentisty and the veneers are large,bulky, and long.I have trouble smiling and get sores a lot in my mouth because my lower lip hits the veneers when i smile. The dentist made small corrections but they did not help. Due to money, I could not get them fixed. I am 23 years old now. My question is it possible to remove the porcelain and have composite resin put in to mold the shape of my old teeth again. I like the composite look a lot better and it looks more natural to me. I am not sure if this has been done before or doctors refuse to do it because it may be very challenging? I have tooth removal but i think because they are so bulky I might be an option for this procedure. I know it requires more maintenace but I am willing to do it. Can this be done? I have pictures of my old teeth so the dentist can match it indentically with the chip fixed to give me the character I used to have.I feel like I want the job in the hands of my dentist alone and not the lab. Also any idea on a price of composite per tooth. Thank you for your time
    Mike

Its unlikely that you would be able to replace them for composites, but without a full consultation its difficult to say. You would need an exceptionally skilled dentist to produce natural looking results, and the fee would reflect that. The other problem you will have is that composite is no where near as strong as porcelain, and you may need them replaced much more frequently.

Porcelain veneers should look totally natural when done. They have the ability to look more natural than composite due to their light characteristics. They key to success is a skilled dentist and technician. I appreciate you would prefer composite, but if done correctly porcelain would look much better and last longer than composite. The solution to your problem is how much tooth was removed to place the veneers initially. It is very important you now find someone capable of doing the work. If you are unhappy with the results again, your teeth may have been hugely damaged to produce results you are not happy with.

I do a lot of corrective cosmetic work and it is crucially important to get the result right. You should ask to see examples of your dentist's work to see the results they are capable of producing

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Default Composite over porcelain

Dr. Khaira,
    Thank you for quick response. I prefer composite mainly because the variation of and blending of colors, can be less bulky, and seem to flex more than veneers can. The the real issue is trying to find a cosmetic dentist who specializes in composite. I have a tough time looking at before and after photos because most of the time they are so close up that of course it looks great, but it does not fit there face. . My old dentist told me it was my facial muscles and he can not do anything about that which is bogus; there too large.
    Can a dentist tell by a single x-ray if this procedure can be done because I have an x-ray? How can I differentiate the difference between a cosmetic dentist who has the skill of veneers but may not with composite.

Lastly, doesn't it require additional tooth reduction for porcelain to go on porcelain then composite over porcelain? So if I get composite more frequently, each time i wont be losing more and more tooth structure just adding what was loss. Again thank you for you time
    Mike
    Last edited by Dr Pav Khaira; 07-30-2008 at 07:15 AM.

If you were to have composite veneers placed, you would still need the old porcelain ones removing. Veneers actually have a greater range of colour variations available than composite.

You would need a full consultation before a dentist could tell you whether you would be suitable for composite veneers. Composite does flex more, and it is due to this reason that it will likely need replacing more frequently, and you are correct that each time you may lose more tooth structure. Composite veneers can look excellent when placed by the right dentist.

I personally prefer veneers as they actually enhance the strength of your natural teeth when done right whereas this is not achieved with composite.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Default composite over porcelain

Dr. KHaira,
    I appreciate your help. To get composite veneers you have to remove tooth structure anyway, well mine is already removed so why is this case different then someone who is just getting composite veneers. Is the tooh reduction that more severe in porcelain than composite. It so hard to get in depth knowledge in this field because people only care when its irreversible when the results are not near what they hoped for. You obviously understand the physical and mental stages that can go wrong with bad work and the need to get it right. The very small imperfections make the smile look natural and the cookie cutter look fake as you know. I can only hope to find a very skilled cosmetic dentist. Have you ever this case before?

I do see these types of cases very frequently, and it takes a lot of effort to correct everything. The key is to make sure it is done right second time around. I was under the impression you wanted composite bonded to your existing veneers, so forgive me for the misunderstanding. You would need the old veneers removing and then there should be enough room to place either composite or porcelain. You may need a little more tooth preparation to permit placement of material

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

I was interested to read this enquiry.
    My problem is I have calcium deficiency on my front teeth - its mainly the two central ones that are affected. I am very upset about this as Ive always had good teeth, white and a good size and shape. Over the last 12 to 18 months (since pregnancy) the teeth are now quite discoloured at the front and rough in texture. From a distance they look ok but close up i am very paranoid about them and its really affecting my self confidence as I feel the teeth look unhealthy and damaged. I am one of those people that feels that having good teeth make all the difference.
    I am considering veneers however what Im wondering is if composite, applied in a thin layer to just the affected front teeth, would possibly be a solution to this? Does composite look smooth and shiny or is it quite dull? I really just want my teeth to look as they used to. I dont want the shape or size to change, just basically the surface improved and for it to look like real tooth enamel. Ive considered porcelain veneers, however Im really nervous in case I was unhappy with the end result or it didnt suit me. Also, ideally I would like to have as few teeth as possible treated, as I say its the two front ones that are a problem.
    Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me.

Hi

As you correctly mention, some of the treatment options for discoloured teeth with a rough surface are:
    - composite white fillings
    - veneers

Both of those type of treatments can produce great natural results.

Composites can look natural, but this depends on the dentist's skills and the type of composite used. But be aware that composite can stain over time.

It is very difficult to say whether composites would be the best option for you without a full consultation. If the staining is too dark and the surface too rough, a bigger amount of composite may be needed to cover the defect, making the tooth bulky. If this was the case, some small amount of tooth structure may have to be shaved off prior to doing the composite to ensure the tooth does not appear bulky. But again, it is ery difficult to say what the best treatment is for you without carrying out a full examination.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thank you for your reply Dr Sephera

Could you just clarify for me as to whether its possible that the composite can look smooth with a sheen to it, or if its more likely to look quite dull? I realise its difficult for you to say without seeing the teeth, but just as a general rule im wondering if this could be achieved with composite? Have you ever known of similar cases where a good result has been achieved on just a few of the teeth this way, whereby they blend in with the surrounding natural ones?

Thank you for your time

Composite can look very natural with a sheen. But porcelain veneers usually provide the best aesthetic result.

At our practice, we have placed composite fillings on front teeth to disguise some enamel defects on teeth and have had great results and our patients have been really pleased with the natural look.

Each case is different so composite may be the best option for one patient but not for another.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009