How Can I Get NHS Treatment for Gum Disease?

Before Christmas last year my dentist told me I had quite bad gum disease. In February this year my gums started bleeding and I used Corsodyl mouthwash (I had used it before) but my mouth and gums came up in ulcers and my gums were inflamed. My dentist couldn’t give me an appointment, I was in so much pain that I went to see another dental surgery who saw me there and then. The new dentist said I had an allergic reaction to the mouthwash. They discovered I have been grinding my teeth. Since then the ulcers have gone but now my gums have receded to the point that it feels like I have almost none, they hurt all the time, my teeth now hurt and I keep getting headaches. I saw the new dentists once a week for nearly 3 months and was sent to my GP for blood tests to check for underlying issues but it was clear. The new dentist said I need to see a periodontist – but they all charge more then I can afford. I’m a single parent on benefits and on NHS tax credit exemption. But I cannot find an NHS periodontist anywhere and I’m in constant pain. My GP referred me to a dental hospital but they do not offer the service I need. How can I get seen and treated via the NHS for this?
Hello, thank you for your question. It’s very difficult to get a NHS referral for gum disease unless you go to a teaching hospital such as Guys or the Royal London. Maybe go back to your dentist and see what they can find in your area. Kind regards, Andrew.
Dr Andrew Moore Advance Dental Clinic 104 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JG Web: Tel: 08443 87 87 88 View My Profile Dr Moore

Leave a Reply